• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Overclocker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMDCanuck

Registered
I'm pretty much a noob in overclocking, I've read into it a lot, and i finally went ahead and bought an upgraded heat sink and jacked up my fsb to 200. But I had a few questions., and i'm looking for suggestions from you guys as to what MAY cause me a problem in my overclocking (haven't had any yet)

Here is my current setup:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev. 2.0
OCZ 512 MB PC 3200
AMD 2600+ barton (unlocked)
Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12 HS and Fan
500 watt Ultra Power supply

well i think thats all that really matters

I've upped the FSB to 200, so basically its running at 3200+ speeds. I've had 0 problems. But here are my questions

- I know ULTRA isn't exactly a brand name power supply, if i want to get faster into OC'ing should i change over to something like an Antec truepower? Or will this one be fine?
- Is this Heatsink any good can it handle me boosting it higher? I've got cpu temps of 28 degrees celsius. Mobo is around 19. Seems like its working well, but its loud as hell.
- should i start cooling the north and south bridge chipsets?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
any general suggestions would also be helpful

to test for stability you can use prime95's torture test, found here: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

you might want to look into cooling your northbridge, altho if you don't plan on going over 200fsb, you might be ok with no cooling. Id at least maybe put a passive heatsink on it if it is bare or if you plan on going 200+ then an active cooling solution would be beneficial for ya.

I would think that a no name 500 watt ps would be sufficient, but i could be wrong as well. Im sure others here could better answer that question for ya.

The heatsink you have is an average one i do believe, altho your temps seem to be fine for now. Is that 28c load or idle temp?? Also what is your vcore set to?? That plays a big role in your temps too.

Otherwise you're off to a decent start! An unlocked cpu opens up a few more doors for ya when it comes to oc'ing so that is a plus. A higher fsb is what you shud be looking for as it will give you better performance and benchmarks.

Thanks for the input DJ,
28 degrees is idle. Load it gets into low 30's. 33 Was the highest I saw after playing battlefield. I'll try that torture test. The mobo comes with passive cooling on one of the chipsets ( i think northbridge).
I haven't touched my V core, I have no idea really what kind of effect it has (yes i'm that much of a noob). I assume its the voltage dedicated to my CPU or something along those lines?

ok, for prime95 run the blend test for at least 12 hrs altho most say 24 hrs. the heatsink on your nb should be ok, but as i said before an active heatsink like a vantec iceberq or something similar would be better. Your temps are fine so i would assume that you are using the default vcore which i think is 1.65.

and yup, the vcore is the voltage to your cpu. so upping it will help with stability, but it also raises temps. this thread is an excellent read for cpu/fsb oc'ing: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1789454 Check out the second post on that page by hitechcjb1, about 9 posts down? And actually, the whole thread is VERY informative. Not sure if you have seen it or not, but if you havent then goto the first page and take a look, great stuff.

For now i would just make sure you are stable where you are and then push it bit by bit. GL HF! (good luck, have fun!)

Last edited:
Back