• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DD4 gpu with 80watt tec, enough for overclocked 9700pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

William.E

Ive installed this block recently, but i dont think its up to the job, ive dont a volt mod on my card and usually run it at 414mhz core, i beleive its recomended to run a tec rated at least twice the heat output of you cpu/gpu, ive got a temp sensor on the back of the card which is reading 40c or higher in games, if anyone has any experience with this let me know what you think or have found out,

thanks,

TARZAN

Hmm, that is indeed a high temperature for a petiered 9700, even with an overvolt and signifigant overclock.

My guess would be that the rest of your water-cooling system is adversely affecting your GPU temperature. You've got a signifigantly overclocked processor, which will be dumping a lot of heat into your water, and an overvolted chipset won't help either (I assume you've cracked out the voltage to hit 228 X 11 ;)).

I see that you have two heatercores, have you considered going to a dual-loop setup? If you get another pump, something small and inexpensive, you could route your GPU waterblock in a seperate circuit, with a heatercore to itself, and give your CPU and chipset the remaining heatercore.

This would benefit your temperatures across the board, as the peltier wouldn't be affecting your CPU/chipset temperatures, and vice versa. I've done something similar with my peltiered GPU setup, and am really happy with the way it's worked out.

That TEC should be fine for your 9700, provided that the heat from your entire system isn't overloading your water circuit's capacity to cool.

i though it might be the tec, but ive removed it now and checked it, its working fine, the temps on the back of the card are about the same, thought the temp probe is exposed and has air blowing over it, i run the loop as pump, gpu, core 1, cpu, n.b, core 2, ive just changed it slightly but before i did have atemperature reading for the water which never went much more than a few degrees above ambient, though i had 4 papst 94 c.f.m fans then which ive changed for quieter fans, im going to try and get a reading for the water temp but the tecs no longer in the loop so i guess thats pointless, i was running it from a cheat 300w p.s.u, i only run the tec and 4 fans from it, rated at 15amp on 12v, wondered if it might be that maybe not being able to supply the power it says.

my temps are deffinetly lower without the tec, maybe i didnt fit it right, poor contact, my water temps went up by 1c after a few hours gaming, i dont ht9ink it will have a problem with the tec, ill give it anoother go.

That waterblock is insufficient for that tec me thinks.... 80w is a lot of power for that DD4 to dissipate efficiently, expecially with the head loss that you're probably experiencing.

whats a better block than the dd4? i thought it was the ultimate in graphics card blocks, but i dont know of any other blocks other than earlier dd and swiftech blocks.

well sure, it's a very good gpu waterblock, but that doesn't mean that it's good enough to cool a tec.... usually for that type of thing you need to rig a cpu waterblock to your graphics chip. I've seen people do this with the d-tek white waters, but that's a little extreme :). Swiftech usually makes some very good stuff, though i don't know if their gpu waterblock is rated for a tec or not. Honestly, I'd consider dropping that tec altogether, it doesn't sound like you need it much if the temps went down after you removed it.

However, if you want to keep it, honestly I'm kind of at a loss at the moment - I'm not as familiar with pelt-cooling a gpu as I am with cpus. You might try looking around the video/ati section to see if anyone is doing similar things. Otherwise you might look around here to see if you can find anything related (if you haven't done so already that is). The next solution I would try would be a cpu waterblock - preferably a higher-performance one if you can manage. The Maze3 or 4 will probably be sufficient, maybe even the d-tek tc4 rev. 2 - if you can manage it.

Back