• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help my Stupid a$$...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M E G A N O O B

Registered
Ok,

I got an AMD 2700+ (Non-mobil) Not sure if it's barton or whatever. The max FSB for the chip is 333 MHz. I also have a Asus A7N8X-D MB, this chip is "Mating" with (PCB Version 1.04-ish). My RAM is Corsair-3200, DDR, Dual Channel, with heatspreaders etc.

I would like to set the FSB to 200 and the multiplier to 11 to get 2200. Can I do this with the above mentioned equipment and maintain stability??? When I go to 1.75 my CPU temp skyrockets to 74 Degr. (and above if I don't reset before this point) with a volcano 7 @ 3400RPM (I could go higher but I like my delicate hearing)

It is currently set at 166 x 13 =2158 MHz with the VCore set to 1.65 and it runs well, but I want MORE DAMNIT!!!! Thats what I bought this expensive friggen' RAM for.

I have tried to set the FSB to 200, at many different multiplier- and voltage settings and some seem to be stable, but I if try to play some 3d games they slow to a crawl. (I have a good Vid Card) Has anyone had issues like this???

There are also other settings in my BIOS for Video card Voltages and Memory Voltages, can you tell me what these are and if I should bother changing them???

Lots of questions! But... I'm sure you guys are more than qualified to handle them. Please give me any advise or personal experiences that might help.

Thanks! :D

Firstly, your 2700+ is not a barton. It is a tbred. Secondly, you cannot use multipliers below 13, because there are 2 ranges chips are made in. 5x-12.5x, and 13x-18x. Thirdly, 75c!! Your chip will die if it gets much hotter, throw out that crap cooler and buy a thermalright one, and some artic silver. I dont suggest letting it go above 50c for any overclocking at all.

Ok, so which range does my chip fall under? the 5x -12.5x or the 13x - 18x? I assume the 13x - 18x because you said I cant use multi's under 13?

So i would have to do minimum a 13 X 200FSB setting?

I'm confused because my BIOS gives me a lot of possible settings! up to 14x. But there are some that will say like 7.00-12.5. Why would it have 2 numbers?

Also, I am using Arictic Silver!!! is the Volcano 7 crap? It's copper.... It's huge.... It should be good. :rolleyes:

Please offer more suggestions pertaining to my original post, Thanks!

Well, if its a V7+ then its an ok cooler, and you should probably reseat it. If its just a regular V7, its crap lol. The ones with 2 numebrs mean that depending on what multiplier range your chip falls into, it will use one or the other. Say one read 7x-13.5x, if you had say, a 2500+ it would be 7x, but your chip would be 13.5x because its in the higher range. I believe there is a mod that allows you access to the lower range, but you wont be able to do your stock 13x.

Not sure if it's a 7+ or not. Are the Thermalrights a lot better though? If they are I'll just get one of those.

Thank you for the explanation of the multiplier settings! :) I got a few more questions for anyone who has suggestions...

Do you think if I go to 200 MHz FSB, that I will be able to use a 13 or above multiplier without either heat issues or issues during 3D gamming?

What should the VCore Voltage be?

What is best- Lower or Higher Memory Voltages?

Are lower CAS Settings better for stability - (I have good PC 3200 Corsair RAM), and if so how do I set them? - (I don't see a setting in the BIOS)

Is CAS essentially the Memory MHz?

Why would you increase the AGP MHz (I have read to keep it at 66)

Thanks again!

1. Thermalrights are a LOT better, and if you look around, like svc.com, they sometimes go for as cheap as $20.

2. I dont think your chip has any chance of hitting 2.6ghz(200x13), maybe 2.4 with a lot of voltage, 2.5 if its a monster overclocker.

3. Vcore should be left alone until your pc becomes unstable. When you have reached your max stable overclock, giving it more voltage usualy results in a higher overclock. This reduces the life of your chip, but a small increase is nothing to worry about. I prefer to stay under 1.8v, but many pleople say 1.9v is the safe max.

4. Ram is very hard to kill. More voltage will allow you to hit much higher than 200fsb, or run with lower latency(cas, ras, ect). I run mine at 2.7v all day, even though it isnt overclocked, just for added stability.

5. Lower latency means it will do more work per mhz, so lower=less overclock, better per mhz. Of course, mhz always wins, because 200mhz(400) at 2/3/3/7 isnt as fast as 220 at 3/4/4/11.

6. Memory mhz is usualy your fsb, unless you use a divider. CAS determines how fast it is per mhz, as said above.

7. Some crazy people increase agp mhz and voltage for an extra 10 3dmarks, but it does virtualy nill for you in real world performance, and causes stability problems and can even kill your card and agp slot. I leave that alone.

Back