• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My laptop is faster than your desktop....hehe - Athlon 64 @2.4 gigs benchable!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zxlr8

I finally prchased a Emachines M6809. With clockgen, I was able to get it to run benchmarks at 2396 mghz. This is stock cooling!!!! I am thinking of opening the lappy up and pulling the heatspreader to apply some as5. It would probably help the temps. This thing is awesome. I popped over 12k 3d marks with the mobile 9600 and no artifacts. With a cool day, I bet I could see more. What a sweet machine for $1400. It actually took me away from playing with the athlon xp HTPC. I guess I will have to try some more benchies tonight. The best sandra arithemetic to date is 10323 mips. Yeeha!! That is better than my 2.67 gig xp(benchable).:D

You overclocked your laptop that crazy and a bad thing to do all they have for cooling is metal and a little fan. LOL your going to burn your computer up.

Obviously HKH does not know what he is talking about. The thing is stable at 2350mghz. I only overclock to benchmark and it is for a few minutes at a time. The heat is never a problem. Instabilty is a good indicator of heat and so far it is just fine. Let me reiterate...Temps are fine....Man you guys are party poopers.

Yep, those 3400+ DTR's are killer. Someone else got to 2.4GHz as well. If only I could pop one of those into my desktop...

Re: My laptop is faster than your desktop....hehe - Athlon 64 @2.4 gigs benchable!!!

zxlr8 said:
I finally prchased a Emachines M6809. With clockgen, I was able to get it to run benchmarks at 2396 mghz. This is stock cooling!!!! I am thinking of opening the lappy up and pulling the heatspreader to apply some as5. It would probably help the temps. This thing is awesome. I popped over 12k 3d marks with the mobile 9600 and no artifacts. With a cool day, I bet I could see more. What a sweet machine for $1400. It actually took me away from playing with the athlon xp HTPC. I guess I will have to try some more benchies tonight. The best sandra arithemetic to date is 10323 mips. Yeeha!! That is better than my 2.67 gig xp(benchable).:D
It will be a waste of time opening up the laptop to remove the heatspreader as DTR's and mobile dont have them!

Yes I found that out a little after I wrote that post.....I guess this will probably do....

Thats pretty good, if you mod the fan, and can live with the noise you can probably keep it at that speed. I have my 3400 laptop running at 2.4 stable for 8 hours a day. Fan aint too bad, unless i am doing a lot of rar's and compiling.

And I dont think your laptop is faster than my desktop!!

You are right....

An fx53 oced to 2900 is incedible. How did you mod the fan on your lappy? What kind do you have ? More info please;) :D

I actually replaced the fan with a higher rpm one, but you could probably wire in something from Radio Shack, uhhhhhhm Radio Shack, must go to Radio Shack....., oh thats donuts, must have donuts.

MTECH8350, same chasis as most of the amd64 laptops out there.

i actually need to get a new laptop but i think i am going to go for a dell inspiron 8600 with pentium m 1.8 just because i really do not trust buying a computer made by e machines..... i just always had the impression that they were a REALLY crappy company

Well you can spend the extra $ for no reason, but most laptops are made by the same third party company in Malaysia anyways.(Compal and others) The More $=better does not always hold true. My emachines/Gateway/Voodoo/HP/Compaql laptop will run faster for a lot less. If you have worries about quality, get the 3 year extended warrenty and use the rest to buy a higher res screen. That is the only place you would be better. I have both at the moment(8600) and the m6809 is far and away a better laptop. It is not as pretty as the Dell, though. Trust me as I spent over $4000 on a Inspiron 8200 when they came out. I am more happy with this one and I paid a LOT less. It is ok to be lead blindly along with the rest of the fold. You will lose overclocking with a Dell.....Sorry if I sound passionate about this, but it has been a long time since I got so much value out of a product.....look up their website-just for fun.

The Pentium-M is a better choice if you plan to use your laptop as a true portable system. The A64's really are only suitable for desktop replacements at this time, lan parties, eg.

Oh yeah, and your laptop isn't faster than my desktop. :D

I have had a couple Sagers, they are built no worse than Dell. Thinkpads rock, pay $$$ though. Apple Powerbooks now, are pretty sweet too, too slow, too $$$. If I was getting a machine now I would look at a Dothan 2.0, then overclock the beast, make sure you get 17 inch screen and ati 9700, 2gb ram and dual raid0 60gb drives. Uhmmmmmmmmmmmm donuts, I mean bad *** laptop!!!

Well I am getting more than 3 hours out of the battery. You just have to condition it right the first time. It uses a speedstep type program so it is quite nice. It weighs a litltle over 8 pounds, but if you want less heft get something else for sure. Let me see your sandra bench......

A 2.0 Dothan oced would not be faster then an oced A64.......If you think so, show me the benches. It might do better in battery life, but not by much because of the extra power to take a centrino that high. A sata raid drive setup in a lappy would be cool. :)

Last edited:
It's an extremely close draw, I'd say, at the same speeds. The 3400+ was at stock of 2.2ghz. With each at the same speed, they'd pretty much be neck in neck. I can't wait to see some desktop boards for the Dothan; then we can see some serious action.

Back