• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rebooting during gameplay

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twitch579

Disabled
during gameplay the puter reboots, voltage is 1.9 on water, specs are in sig, timings are ralaxed, wondering if vcard can cause rebooting cause its clocked real high? 450/360 also its not flashed no more just plain jane 9800pro. Fsb is at 210 and multi is locked at 11x. Temps are about 44 idle and 54-55 under heavey load, u guys think is the voltage, do i need more u think?, my temps are not the best as is, im waiting on new block for cpu.

I dont think it is your video card. Usually, your computer will just freeze if you o/c your vid card too high. But you can try and downclock your vid card and see if that solves the problem.

Have you ever run prime95 on your computer, after you o/c your barton????

usually i just run a game for a couple of hours and see if it holds up, this just started happening, ive had the computer at these speeds for a while and its always been fine

If it's not prime95 stable, then it's almost certainly your CPU that's the problem :) If it *is* prime95 stable, then it's probably your voltage regulators (either motherboard or PSU) being overloaded and fluctuating too much with varying loads.

Perhaps that needs a bit of explanation :) Because of the way the voltage regulators work, an increase in load will briefly (as in about 1/50000 ish of a second) dip the voltage supplied to the CPU. When the CPU and video card come out of an idle state, this will hit the regulators and usually drop the voltage across much of the system. Likewise, a sudden drop in load (such as the CPU going into an idle state) will generate a brief spike in voltage. 1/50000th of a second might not sound like much, but if the video card comes out of idle just as some memory is being moved around, then you've got nearly 50000 cycles during which the vcore is lower than it should be.

Being a 9800XT (which has only a small draw off the motherboard), my first guess would be the regulators in the PSU. Try a bigger/better PSU and see if that fixes the issue. Alternatively, bumping up the vcore would probably fix the symptoms but then you're running at a higher-than-required vcore to cover for your PSU.

do u think that if i have hte power connector that goes to the radeon hooked up to another psu outside the case it will help the lack of power problem? im trying to save as much power as possible by hooking up fans and lights to another psu

Are the temps you got from when you were playing, because it may heat up more while you're playing and then cause your motherboard to restart..this is what happened to me..

Back