• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to AMD, Starter system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myhre

I'm really considering building an AMD system just to mess around with. I've always been Intel even though most my friends have usually been hardcore AMD. I'd just like to get a feeling for a decent AMD system to compare to my P4 system. If you guys could give me some motherboard/proc suggestions or advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

Myhre said:
I'm really considering building an AMD system just to mess around with. I've always been Intel even though most my friends have usually been hardcore AMD. I'd just like to get a feeling for a decent AMD system to compare to my P4 system. If you guys could give me some motherboard/proc suggestions or advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

Feel free to PM / AIM me ( Sentential03 ). But the genreal tips you will get are to buy Abit's NF7-S 2.0, or DFI's Infinity Ultra B or Lanparty B.

As for the processor buy a Mobile 2600+. No other CPU on the market works better than the mobiles...especially the 26ers.

As for RAM you either want ultra low latency....or super speed like Intel. However low latency is a must if possible,

My reccomendation is OCZ's PC3500 or PC3700 EB <Enhanced Bandwith>

In case you are considering an A64 system, this is some suggestion. The only problem is that the second generation of A64 motherboards based on either the Nfoce3 250 GB or the VIA K8T800 Pro are not yet on the street/internet, hopefully very soon.

For a well budgeted A64 system based on A64 socket 754 1 MB ClawHammer, it may well turn out to be only around 100 USD more than that of a Nforce2 + mobile barton system, but potentially with 15-25% average better performance, assuming the A64 CPU is overclocked to 2.5 GHz level (very doable).

Originally posted by hitechjb1
Price performance system
- A64 754 1 MB L2 ClawHammer, CPU revsion CG
(as price moves down, move to higher PR and multiplier with small price differential)
- 3000+ with x9 multiplier (for air/water cooling)
- 3200+ with x10 multiplier (for water/extreme cooling)
- 1.5V desktop or 1.5V mobile DTR or 1.4V mobile CPU
- 250 GB or K8T800 pro motherboard <--- not on street / internet yet :(
- 2x512 MB DDR500 or overclock equivalent
- SLK-948 or heat pipe
- As of May 04, cost around USD 600.

Target setup:
BIOS FSB setting: 250 - 300 MHz (FSB is a setting, not physically per se)
CPU 1 MB L2 ClawHammer CG revision
- x9, target to 2.25 - 2.7 GHz
- x10, target to 2.5 - 3 GHz
Memory at 250 - 300 MHz, ASYNC, effective BW = 3800 - 4560 MB/s
HT at x3, at least 750 - 900 MHz w/ DDR, or x4 from 1000 and up

Ref:
A64 CPUs, chipsets, motherboards

Last edited:
Back