• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELLLLPPPPP!!! Please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yo4444

I am upgrading my buddies pc..
Shuttle ak31 ver 2.0 mobo originally had a 1700 palomino

I want to put in either a 2100+ T'bred(i think) or 2400+
I just upgraded the bios to newest (supposedly supports 2100+..maybe palomino only?) I get the 2100+ to post and start windows, but it freezes either during os loading or soon after os loads. I have the bios set to optomized defaults with the exception of the cpu being set at 133(100 is default) . Do I need to change multiplier or voltage? (default voltage is set at 1.75...dont know default multiplier..doesnt show)... Im at a loss at the moment... :confused: Thanks for the input!!!!

When it posts is the CPU being detected properly?

How many times have you built a system - are you forgetting anything?

What are your temp readings in bios?

IMOG said:
When it posts is the CPU being detected properly?

How many times have you built a system - are you forgetting anything?

What are your temp readings in bios?

The cpu is being detected properly...

Ive upgraded mine a few times...new mobos, cpus, oses, pretty much the works... my asus a7n8x delux is easy to work with though... this was an existing systm, just changed cpu and flahsed bios(re downloaded and flashed after probs just to be sure i didnt get a corrupted file)
temps arent getting over 45 celcius, new oversized fan and sink...basic best buy thermal grease..better than what came with fan...and i put a large case fan in as well.. going from a 1700 to a 2100 i wouldnt expect a large change in temp anyway

need any more info..let me know

The BIOS update says it supports up to a XP2100+ Palomino. The Thoroughbred has a lower voltage than the Palomino. Otherwise verything else is the same. You need to lower the voltage in the BIOS to 1.60.

Here are the specs:

XP2100+ Palomino 1733Mhz FSB=266 (13x133) 1.75 V

XP2100+ Thoroughbred 1733Mhz FSB=266 (13x133) 1.60 V

MisterEd said:
The BIOS update says it supports up to a XP2100+ Palomino. The Thoroughbred has a lower voltage than the Palomino. Otherwise verything else is the same. You need to lower the voltage in the BIOS to 1.60.

Here are the specs:

XP2100+ Palomino 1733Mhz FSB=266 (13x133) 1.75 V

XP2100+ Thoroughbred 1733Mhz FSB=266 (13x133) 1.60 V

I'm not seeing why that would help!?! It supports ONLY a palomino. Think for a second...he is running a palomino due to the voltage, therefore meaning that it IS compatible with his motherboard. By lowering the voltage down, either it would plain not post or it would not be read properly in the BIOS.

hmm.......the minimum compatibility is a palomino, and it supports all the way up to a 2100+. Maybe it supports processors BELOW 2100+. Correct me someone if I'm wrong, but it sounds more logical because I had a motherboard like that one time...

EDIT: Oh yeah, CLEAR THE CMOS. That should help plenty.

I believe the bios flash cleared the cmos (used winflash off of shuttle site at shuttles suggestion) I could clear again I suppose.. so I gather i should try the 13 multiplier with 1.6v ... FYI.. i put in the old 1700+ for hahas and I'm getting same problems, so its not the Palomino/tbred prob...i think
Itll run stable at 100 Mhz but when i increase to 133 that is when i get freezes.. both cpus..1700 and 2100

Temp reading ..ill get back to you...gonna put the 2100 back in and run it for a few..running the 1700 @ 100 mhz on FAR CRY for about 10 min gave me a 41celcius temp

Originally posted by murrayman
I'm not seeing why that would help!?! It supports ONLY a palomino. Think for a second...he is running a palomino due to the voltage, therefore meaning that it IS compatible with his motherboard. By lowering the voltage down, either it would plain not post or it would not be read properly in the BIOS.

hmm.......the minimum compatibility is a palomino, and it supports all the way up to a 2100+. Maybe it supports processors BELOW 2100+. Correct me someone if I'm wrong, but it sounds more logical because I had a motherboard like that one time...
BIOS AK31S20L Date code:03/04/2002
1.Support HDD larger then 137GB capacity
2.Support Athlon XP 2100+ (0.18 micron : Palomino).

I was under the impression his XP2100+ is a throroughbred. The BIOS thinks it is a palomino and has set the voltage to 1.75. That maybe where his instability is coming from. If the XP2100+ is really a thoroughbred then lowering the voltage to 1.60 may fix that. I have installed a number of CPUs in boards that did not officially support them. The main thing is having the right manual settings to set up the CPU to run normally. A lot of boards have no manual settings. You are stuck with automatic detection whether that is right or not. Is there something wrong with making manual changes? After all this is the overclocking forum isn't it?

A few things - voltage changes will not affect how a CPU is recognized (only multi and FSB does AFAIK - frequency changes essentially)... Overvolting should not cause a problem, or specifically the problem he is having, as long as CPU temperatures are okay... Resetting cmos is not necessary - he is able to access his bios so he can simply reset defaults from there to see if it helps, however he already stated that the only default setting he changed was the FSB frequency from 100 to 133mhz.

With the temp you've already reported, that is not the problem that is causing crashing upon windows load.

It sounds to me like you will need to either reinstall or go into recovery console. Then I would try recovery console, and ask about which commands might be useful... First I would issue chkdsk, then I would do fixmbr. Here are some hints on the console commands available to you: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...using/productdoc/en/recovery_console_cmds.asp

Also, you may want to try booting into windows through safe mode to see if a service starting up may be the culprit.

Last edited:
Just put the 2100 back in.. ran steady for about 15 min @100mhz on far cry.. got 43 celcius.. (@13X and 1.65 volt...cant go lower..runs effectively @ between 1.616 and 1.632) the default voltage is at 1.75 and the manual settings only have -1.0V at the most. when i jumped it up to 133, froze like crazy again....
Im gonna clear the cmos and see if i have more leeway with the settings afterward, but i dont understand why I cant run the old 1700 anymore.... 1700 palomino...what are the multiplier and voltage for it???..should come up default, but who knows

oh..and just so you know..the cpu is recognized fine at 133.. and @ 1500+ @100mhz

IMOG said:

With the temp you've already reported, that is not the problem that is causing crashing upon windows load.

It sounds to me like you will need to either reinstall or go into recovery console. Then I would try recovery console, and ask about which commands might be useful... First I would issue chkdsk, then I would do fixmbr. Here are some hints on the console commands available to you: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...using/productdoc/en/recovery_console_cmds.asp

Also, you may want to try booting into windows through safe mode to see if a service starting up may be the culprit.

Do you think the os is the problem even though im only getting the freezes @ 133?... Ill give that a try though... thx...

The pc freezes either during boot or soon after os boots... only when cpu is set at 133 though.... I just tried starting in safe mode a few times...froze each time...
also had it restart on me once or twice..but almost always freezes

NEW INFO:::was just playing around with the bios settings and had it freeze up @ 1.65V 13X 100, 1.75V 13X 100mhz, 1.65V default mulitplier 100, 1.75V default and 100mhz...and all the same at 133mhz...
do you happen to know the voltage and multiplier for the 1700?. palomino.. im going to try again to see if itll work at all with that chip after i clear cmos for ha ha's.

Went in and screwed around some more...this is wacky...
ran @ 100mhz fine again, but when upped fsb it went bad again... then, for the hell of it i started under last known good configuration at 120mhz ...it started upwithout a vid driver(i had already checked hardware profiles an everything else to see if they were bad) reinstalled vid driver...ran a bunch of programs...norton utilities..adaware..explorer...far cry... ran fine...
just tried upping it to 130, still running fine installing and uninstalling updates and programs fine
ALL THIS @ 1.65v by the way.... next, ill try 133, but Im not sure why it is now running ok....
I am DAMN confused...:confused:

Perhaps if I get this 2100 running fine, ill try the 2400 again...LOL... maybe not...
P.S. you mustve been right...had to have been something with windows or some software...
I couldnt run the recovery console...i dont have his xp cd

Damn........ as i was writing last post, the #$@##%^ thing froze!!!!!!!
back to square 1

Im kinda new(REALLY NEW) to ocing so forgive me if this is a stupid question...
I think i may have found the prob, but not sure if uit makes sense
If the voltage is too low for the cpu fsb speed, will it freeze as has been happening to me?.
after last post, i realized that it ran fine at 120 mhz @1.65V, but crashed @ 130 at same voltage.... dropped fsb to 127, and it ran fine until I ran far cry on high vid settings.. after i had upped the voltage by .025, I had far cry the game crash(it just closed) but no freeze, so i upped it by another .025 and im going to test it out..if stable, ill up voltage again, as well as fsb a bit. am i doing this correctly?
does it make any sense at all, or am I on Mars?

Back