• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

powering an 80 watt peltier unit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aphex_Tom_9

Ok, im thinking of getting a Maze4 GPU cooling block with a 80 Watt Peltier under it. What i wanna know is- can i just plug the peltier unit into my PSU (480w Thermaltake)? Or do i have to buy a seperate power sytem just for the pelt???

i just remembered, i have an old chieftec 340watt PSU lying around, could i use that to power the pelt unit? i figure if that's all it's powering, the pelt can draw all it wants...right?

yes, that would work.

the 80watt TEC (i assume its a 12V one) will draw about 7 amps. (watts = amps x volts; 80=X x 12; 80/12=6.666; so about 7amps) as long as the PSU you are going to use has a rating of >7 amps on the +12 line, it will power that TEC.

ps im going to be using a 250 watt PSU for my 4+1 GPU: (in testing)
GPUICE.jpg

mmmmmm 80 watts of FROSTY goodness!!!

GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
wait, can i sak if use use any thermal paste, did u remove the cpu shim too? Im thinking of getting a 226 and want to know if i need any paste or have to remove the shim :) Just askin people doing it...

Cpu shim? ill assume u ment Gpu shim and then say: I removed the Gpu shim but that was b4 i had this thing and i have not tried to mount this yet, so i dont know if the shim would have gotten in the way :)

thermal paste...there is paste (i used ceramique) between: 1)WB and TEC, 2)TEC and coldplate, 3) coldplate and Gpu (once i mount it)

226watt TEC for a Gpu...overkill, way overkill, (i like it ;) ) a 226 watt TEC needs like 18-20 Amps (thats a BIG PSU and a big elect bill) speeking of big, 226's are 50x50mm and this WB uses 40x40mm TEC's

The 80W Peltier you intend to use, is actually rated for 16V. So, at 16V, it handles 80W, drawing about 5 Amps.

On 12V, off of a computer's PSU, it will run at about ~55W, and draw about 4.5A. I'm pretty sure your power supply will be able to handle that without any problems :)

If you got yourself a seperate 16V power supply, you could run it on 16V, and make the most of it's potential. If you do decide to use a seperate PSU, eBay is a great place to look, I got my 24V PSU off of eBay for $9.

ok, my PSU is rated for 18 amps on the 12v line, and 40 on the 5v, that should be sufficient right? even if it doesnt run at 80watts, it'll still be cold, no?

If you are going to add 12v and 5v lines you should have a separate PSU fore this and remember you will add bridges between 5v and 12v lines and make sure it will work before putting in computer!!!

egh, im just gonna get a plain maze4 waterblock now...pelt's a bit complicated, plus i dont want to voltmod my 9800 (i plan on selling it to get an x800), so i wouldnt be able to take full advantage of it

Back