• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amps to HP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I found the formula it is 1 hp = 745.699872 Watts
I am sorry about my spelling.
3.9A x 115V = 448.5 watts / 745 = 0.60 HP
-----------------------------------------
But when I bought it and took it apart I saw 1HP on label?

thats fraud right there.

semi OT: I just remember that 1HP=~6.5 amps on a 115V line, thats an incredibly accurate number of watts you found though. :D

I agree 745 / 115 = 6.47 amps
The listing a the dehumidifier seas 3.9 amps

The rating on compressor seas 1HP 60hz 115 LRA 17
Model number is QA050CBA
SER NO is 21E00263-A-3ML21-801311

I have not looked at any tec sheets yet

This is a real shot in the dark, but is it possable that the compresor is on a voltage regulator and not getting the full 115?

also, is it possable that the power rating (3.9 amps) is for the average operation of the unit, where the compressor may only be on half of the time?

Look at the rating on my chiller sporting a Danfoss compressor.

cooler4.jpg

According to that formula this is nearly 3/4 HP, but yet the label lists 1/4 HP :confused:
Go figure

Mustanley said:

cooler4.jpg

According to that formula this is nearly 3/4 HP, but yet the label lists 1/4 HP :confused:
Go figure

Yes, because the voltage and current are out of phase. Go Google if you care to learn more. Those specifications are correct.

Last edited:
I'm not questioning the specifications, just the application of that formula to those specifications. From what little I understood about measuring power when voltage and current are out of phase, one would have to use a true watt (or watt/hour) meter.

If you know the phase angle you can calculate everything you want. The problem is finding the angle. If you can't find any other information on the electricl properties of the device, then just measuring the power with some sort of meter is probably the easiest way.

The formula was taken from google.com I put in (watts to hp converters) and it gave me a websight that gave me that formula?
And my amps listed on case on dehumidifier and HP is listed on compressor
Yours is more realistic remember there a fan and control circuitTo remember.

Mustanley said:

cooler4.jpg

Go figure

I agree but yours maybe talking about starting amps not running amps ?

Wherever I see horsepower rating directed at the consumer, I ignore it. It's unregulated and often grossly overstated. It can mean "developed horsepower" for example, an engineer's trick, which might be a heavy flywheel spun by the motor in question, then the force needed to brake the flywheel is the horsepower rating boasted on the box.

Stick with amps, and remember larger motors are more efficient due to better windings and clearances.

lclark2074 said:
I found the formula it is 1 hp = 745.699872 Watts
I am sorry about my spelling.
3.9A x 115V = 448.5 watts / 745 = 0.60 HP
-----------------------------------------
But when I bought it and took it apart I saw 1HP on label?

isn't this the physics formula. in physics doesnt watts mean something else. and 745.699872 watts = 1hp is in i believed used in U.S american system. i might be wrong. their are few kinds of systems for HP. such as Boiler HP, continental HP, Electical HP, Water HP, Metric HP, as well as U.S HP.

BioTuned said:
isn't this the physics formula. in physics doesnt watts mean something else. and 745.699872 watts = 1hp is in i believed used in U.S american system. i might be wrong. their are few kinds of systems for HP. such as Boiler HP, continental HP, Electical HP, Water HP, Metric HP, as well as U.S HP.
Probably your right but :thup:
I would think thy should be still close not about 1/3 off.

It's also possable the the power rating on the comressor is talking about it's cooling power, and not it's power consumption. It's quite common for a phase change system to have a COP above 1. The compressor may be rated at 1 hp, and have that much cooling capacity, but only draw 1/2 hp of electrical power.

Back