• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

questions on bong cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanchu02

Registered
i just recently looked into bong cooling and i think its a pretty cool idea. i was wondering if anyone figured out some kind of additives that were odorless, non toxic, and non corrosive to use in it yet.

also has anyone tried using a closed circuit watercooling setup with a radiator, and submerging the radiator in a seperate water bong cooled water system?

I haven't done it, but I would not suggest trying to run two loops and have a bong loop cool your normal loop, it's just too much work, and plus you're introducing another intermediate step in the heat exchange process, which will not help.

Bong cooling hasnt really been in the picture for a few years now, I remember when every other person who surfed these forums at least played with it;)

I wouldnt suggest runing dual loups like that, mainly because you loose efficiency. You can run humidifier additives and thats about it.

Jon

I have never used any myself, so go take a look around walmart or something;) I actually don't know where you would get some.

Jon

Basically in bong cooling, you take a tall and wide piece of pvc pipe, and pump your water through a shower head placed in the top of the pipe. When I say tall, I mean like 4+ feet, and wide, at least a foot in diameter. Anyways, you pump your hot water up to the top of your bong/tower and let it sprinkle/mist down the tube while you force fresh air up the tube with a fan. It's like evaporation, it will remove alot of heat from the water.

problem here is, the evaporation forces you to refill the system constantly and all kinds of gunk can get into the system due to the open air thing. I would stick with radiators...

Im gonna be trying it. just to do it, I have a radiator already, this is just for kicks.

I however dont want a 4' tube in my room. so Im gonna try to do it with 8-10" if that doesnt work, then screw it, no loss.

additives typicly raise the boiling point of water, no good when you want it to evaporate easily.

Im gonna do seperate loops. Id like to run a spiral copper pipe down the bong chamber, so it is a radiator setup of sorts, where air blows over copper, and just like that, it would probably keep useable temps. but then spray water over it, and watch the temps drop. same concept as misting a turbo intercooler. or your body sweating. if I planned a larger setup, or could get a super small 80x80mm radiator, Id rather a radiator vs the copper spiral.

do they make 80mm radiators?

add a little propylene glycol to the water. it will not evaporate out so you will only need to add it once. it's non-toxic. its actually used for winterizing the potable water systems in rv's and such. You can actually drink the stuff. Check into it. Thats the only thing i found that worked well in my bong setup to prevent the gunk. I ran my bong cooler for about a year. I luved it. However the maintainence got old. You are not going to be happy with an 8 or 10 inch bong unless you make an autofill reservoir like i implemented. works basically like those auto watering things for your dog or cat. without something like that you will find yourself filling up your bong several times a day. My bong evaporated at a rate of 1.5 gallons per day. Yikes!.

J.

*edit* oh yeah, you can find propylene glycol (also known as RV antifreeze) at your local wal-mart or any automotive store.

isnt that the same stuff they use in cigar humidors? meant to keep the humidity at 70%.

Back