• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

And then it all came crashing down...Project Waterbox is no more

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nitrogen

Registered
So, one of the biggest problems holding me up with Project Waterbox (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=297080) was a very very small leak in the reservoir. It was small enough that I couldn't track it down. Being that the watercooling components were housed separately of the computer made it nice because it would still function fine, with no worries of water getting on my components. However it made a mess over time and required refilling, cleaning, and such.

After quite some time, I think I finally tracked down where the leak was coming from--a vertical seam between the reservoir wall and a side. Finally I had a chance to fix it. So, I took down the computer, and set it up on my bed, because the conforming surface was better for sitting it at a slight angle. I wanted it to sit with the bezel facing straight up, and the back of the computer on the bed. (In doing so, the reservoir/pump was nice enough to dump a little extra water that was left in the lines onto my bed. :-/)

Anyway, this allowed me a decent enough angle to apply a line of goop to the seam to reseal it. The slight angle meant it would stay in the corner where it belonged instead of running. The goop takes 24 hours to set completely, but after a couple the outside should be hardened enough to move. This was the plan. Obviously, things did not go according to plan.

I had kept a good eye on the computer sitting there because I didn't completely trust it. But it held steady. Somewhere about 1.5 hours or so into it (I wasn't really keeping track), I walked out of the room. When I got back, I tossed a magazine on the bed. Bad idea, apparently. Evidently my damn computer was sitting so precariously on that bed that either the draft of air from the magazine flying through the air, or the massive shockwaves from 8 ounces of paper hitting the other side of the bed changed things.

Nothing happened for a couple minutes. I went and sat back at my desk, oblivious to my impending doom. My back was to the computer at this point. And then...CRASH! "Oh ****."

Yes, as I'm sure you've already figured out, the computer tipped over, crashing down onto the floor a couple feet below. What happened is that I had the side door open from when I was disconnecting/draining things. The door I think hit the floor first, and it torqued it. The hinges held, surprisingly. But that just send the force elsewhere. It ripped the entire side panel off, and because part of the side (the part not hinged for access) was attached to the top and front, it also ripped a chunk out of the top and part of the front bezel. Plus it cracked the front up pretty good. In addition, it jarred everything enough so that the video card got knocked loose, and because it was screwed in with a sheetmetal screw, it cracked that mounting piece. The waterbox held in fairly well, except two of the seams where the bottom meets the side walls gave out. Just in the front, though. I think my massive amounts of goop, and the obscenely stringent mounting techniques (especially the pump being screwed onto the base as it is) kept it together.

All in all, things are not well with the waterbox--my computer in general. There's no point in having the acrylic box if I don't have an acrylic case. I'm currently throwing around ideas with my friend Tom about where I should go with things next--I'm leaning away from acrylic altogether. It can be a real pain in the *** to work with, keep clean, hide wires. But I also don't want something I see all the time--it needs to be unique. That was what the current box was all about.

So, yeah, this post was incredibly long--if you've read this far, thanks. I'm quite aware that was really, really stupid of me. Lesson learned, I hope. :-/ Currently, I have all my necessary components out of the plexi case and into a spare case I had around. They still seem to work, at least. It's nothing fancy, but it might become the basis for my next project. If anyone knows where to get aluminum diamondplate (probably 1/16", but I'm not positive) for a good price, let me know. Actual stores would probably be best, as shipping on something like that would suck.

And now I'll throw in the wreckage pictures.

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

Man sorry to hear that. Well look on the bright side, you can now rebuild and create a bigger, badder machine. I know it sucks to lose something that you put a lot of work into, but at least now you can brainstorm a whole new idea. Given the neatness, the precision and creativity that this last project was executed with, I'm sure you will be able to cook up something wonderful.

Cyberwiz01 said:
Man sorry to hear that. Well look on the bright side, you can now rebuild and create a bigger, badder machine. I know it sucks to lose something that you put a lot of work into, but at least now you can brainstorm a whole new idea. Given the neatness, the precision and creativity that this last project was executed with, I'm sure you will be able to cook up something wonderful.

Yea, what he said. Or, maybe you can weld those pieces together and stick a sticker on it or something to hide it. Everything should be salvagable, not sure about the hard disks though.

Thats sad that was a great project..i would dust things off(Litterally) AND do it again.

I feel your pain man, 2 years ago I learned my lesson about expensive heavy stuff on beds. put a 19" TV on the bed, and 2min later it rolled right off onto the floor.

Yeah, those damn beds. I'm tossing around ideas, currently. I've had an idea for a diamondplate case for quite a while now, so this might be my opportunity to do that. Already planning things, and I want to get on that ASAP. After all, I'm running a stock case right now, and that's just unacceptable. :) At least my hardware still works.

So, I guess I kinda put this out here because I had the thread earlier, and it's an explanation as to where that went. And if anyone else wants to share stories about their disastrous experiences, like ares' story, feel free. I'm getting used to the idea of rebuilding...actually kind of looking forward to it.

I'm thinking of dubbing the new case the HBFS: [H]arder, Better, Faster, Stronger. (From a Daft Punk song.) Emphasis on Stronger.

Anyway, I appreciate the concern. Figured you guys might want to see it...after all, there's something about destruction that intrigues people for some reason.

lol built a bullet proof case. then when your all done test it by dumping it off the bed. thatll show that bed whos boss.

That is one of the coolest H2O cases I've ever seen. Sorry it crashed. How hard was it to clean since its all plastic? Did you have to spend a lot of time cleaning the dust out of it ?

How hard was it to clean since its all plastic? Did you have to spend a lot of time cleaning the dust out of it ?

The outside is easy to clean. The inside is quite another story. Over time, it gets dusty--not incredibly bad, but noticably. I kind of clean around things now and then, but I'm not about to take everything out, wipe it down, then reinstall everything. But an air compressor works wonders, when I'm at home where we have one. At college, I let it ride as much as possible.

I'd thought about putting fan filters on it at some point, but never got around to it.

Agreed, Buddha. Already refining the plans for my next project. I'm liking the ideas so far, so I'll have to keep y'all posted on it.

That really sucks.

This is the kinda thing where i go with my dads plan: Keep enough money around that when something breaks you can get something better.

Dont get bummed about making a mistake everyone gets a little experience and too comfortable with what they are doing and then it bites them in the rear. This would seem counter productive but now you have the know-how to be able to fix your mistakes!

I see your a student, How is the budget for the next project? Maybe you should put some of the old parts not needed in the project on the classifieds, us water coolers help each other out :)

good luck buddy

Ew, Ew, you could try carving a new case out of a giant block of lexan. That would get rid of your seams problem :p

OMG that's every computer enthusiast's nightmare! :eek: :eek:
Sorry to see that happen after all the hard work and thought you put into it.
I'm guessing v.2 will be even nicer though.

Heh, got some funny suggestions out here. Yeah, I'll keep my eye out for a block of lexan. Or maybe I could devise a molding process, then pour the whole thing at once. That'd be pretty sweet.

I would take some pieces of metal and some bolts and slap the thing back together with a rather rugged look - it should look cooler that way too, cuz the metal would end up looking like accenting decoration - - i had to do that with my plexiglass side after it cracked, lol - i took it outside when it was like, 0*F, to do some tests to see what waterchilling is like ^_^ (i've got plain watercooling, but with freezing air cooling the radiator instant waterchilling!) Anyways, i had to have the side off to reset the mobo bios two times, and when i went to screw the side back on, it cracked one of the corners because of the cold - so i took some metal L brackets, and applied them to all the corners, to make it look like I intended to have them ^_^

Back