• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling Routing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NovaShine

Well, i finally got my order in for the watercooling. Here's the list:

DangerDen RBX CPU Block for Intel Socket 478, Lucite Top
DangerDen Maze 4 Chipset Block for Intel i865/i875 chipsets
Silverprop Cylone FusionHL GPU Block
Swiftech MCP600 Rev.2 Pump
2x D-Tek JR-120 Radiators
Clearflex60 1/2" tubing

What im wondering over now is how to route my tubing. Here's a diagram i drew up for the cooling setup me and a friend thought up.

Watercooling_Map.jpg

The Radiators are going to be in paralell and the big thing at the top of my case is going to be my res (yes, i know it's a big res), which will completely surround the radiators, which will be put on top of the case as well as hold the fans and act as a shroud for the radiators. The radiator's barbs are going to be facing each other.

The dark blue labels describe parts in the watercooling system, the green labels describe other parts.

What i noticed in this setup is that the water would be going up twice, though my science teacher said that going up twice won't matter because of the gravity thing counteracting each other. But i cant be entirely sure still.

Another option might be to have it go through the GPU block first, go up to the CPU block, then down to the NB, then up to the rads again for a slighly cleaner look without the diagonal tube from the pump to the CPU WB, but im still not very sure. Anyone wanna help me out here with some suggestions? I should have about 15ft of clearflex to work with.

nice, i just had to order a RBX for myself since my motherboard doesnt have holes for the dtek whitewater i bought.

On your xaser, have you considered removing your hard drive rack and placing your rad there? Also, maybe a T-line will be better than a reservoir.

I've heard setting up your stuff should go from your pump outlet to your radiator, then to your cpu, then gpu, then northbridge. (Through the radiator first to get through the pressure drop there w/ least difficulty and to dissipate any heat from your pump) You would want your CPU block to be first in the circuit of waterblocks, as you want the least heated water coming into your cpu block. The GPU next, then the NB last. for the northbridge block, it doesnt seem to matter all that much as NB blocks dont really seem to help most people very much in terms of a cooling effect.

I don't think I understand this...is your res on top of your rads? (it looks that way in your drawing)

From what I've read so far, it doesn't really make much difference what order you put stuff. It is better to just reduce the amount of tubing you use. So it is best to use the most direct tube routing possible.

teamgreen said:
I don't think I understand this...is your res on top of your rads? (it looks that way in your drawing)

From what I've read so far, it doesn't really make much difference what order you put stuff. It is better to just reduce the amount of tubing you use. So it is best to use the most direct tube routing possible.

It would help having the reservoir above the radiator to get bubbles out...

the res is going to be built around the radiators and it's going to be taller than them. It's basically gonna be a big container that sits on top of my case that covers the top completely, then there is one big hole in the middle with a divider in the middle of the hole for the 2 radiators. Then on top of the radiators, with about an inch of space the fans will sit, flush with the top of the reservoir.

Removing the hard drive bays arent an option for me. I will be putting in a floor intake and i currently have 3 hard drives, which will make mounting them difficult.

I was thinking of doing a routing that goes from the pump to the VGA block, then CPU block, then NB block, then rads, then res, then pump again, so it flows around the case, might shorten tubing, but it will have to flow through the VGA block first.

Another option is to not use a Y connector in the RBX, instead, have the two outlets flow to the VGA and the NB, so that they work in paralell, then have both the outlets rejoin again to go into the rads.

An upgrade option im thinking about is to expand the floor intake and put another radiator there, maybe from a late model Toyota Camry (as im going to be in Australia a few months down the track) as it seems to be the best they got over there. It's a dual 120mm fan heatercore and will be placed right after the pump.

Back