• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help! water dripped on card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
Ok, so water dripped on my new 5900NU. I wasn't here when it happened, I came into my room to a screen full of lines, and the smell of burning silicon.

I take the card out, wash it all off with alcohol, and klet it dry while I"m at school. There's a big burn mark on it, and it still doesn't work. Just a bunch of lines.

Am I screwed? or is there anything I can try?

My one hose slipped off my barb somehow. Not all the way, but enough for it to leak.

And then it hit the power cable that supplies power to my 5900, so it was right on the card.

lots of times when u have these lines and it was exposed to a longtime of running with a leak the card is no longer good. Take some alcohol to the AGP slot and all the areas around it. Then let a fan blow on the agp slot overnight at least ad give her a whirl.

The agp slot if fine, I'm using a backup card in it. It;'s the little 4 pin connector and surrounding area that got wet. Think it's FUBAR?

thegame said:
got a pic? there might be a way around it but not sure...... :confused:

I don't have a pic, and can't really get one.

Basically, the part right behind the power connector got all burned.

It smells really burnt, and some of the traces look like they're all fubared.

About what I thought.

*********, I just got this card like a week ago too.

I secured them, but just with a zip-tie since I didn't have hose clamps of the right size, it was tight, but now it isn't.

Man!
That seriously blows, amigo. :(

While I have had some small success repairing burnt components, and others (who actually KNOW what they are doing!) have had more, it sounds like that thing is a paperweight- too much damage that is too severe.

IF there is hope, a pic of what you can see that is damaged may help those who really know electronics diagnose it.....

sandman001 said:
I secured them, but just with a zip-tie since I didn't have hose clamps of the right size, it was tight, but now it isn't.

yea you should never use those on tubing unless you want leaks.......they don't fit it round at all

wash the card in the sink and toothbrush the thing with some soap

rinse and then toothbrush again with just water (no soap this time)

rinse again

and then just let dry for ~ 1 week and see how it goes

Hmmm, I'd check again to see if it's dead, just to be sure.

You wouldn't want to throw out a perfectly good card now would you?
I was at my friend's house last weekend, and he bumped his card while installing some cathodes, and the screen was all vertical lines. Then, when we rebooted, we got a series of wierd beeps, which scared us pretty bad (I built his rig the week before, videocard was an X800 Pro), we just pushed it back into the AGP slot, rebooted, and it was fine. I'd say try it, there's no harm in doing that.

I've tried it a few times, the one time I let it run, and the back didn't even get warm, like it isn't even getting power.
It's gone I"m afraid, one of the caps seems to have leaked stuff out onto the card too.

Ah. i'd say a direct power short blew a cap....

replacing the cap with a correctreplacement and bypassing the fried trace may get it going again, for a new card it may be worth the try...sadly, i just dont know what to tell you unless i can see the damage for myself :(

Back