• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

setting pelt power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nico3k

Ok so I am about to order a cold plate and 226watt pelt for my Maze3...
However, I want to:
1) Run this pelt off my regular PSU. It is a 550watt FSP with 36 AMPS on the +12V rail.
2) I want to run the Pelt so that my CPU is at AMBIENT temp (so I won't have to use dielectric grease, foam pads, etc.etc...)

How would I go about doing this?
I would need some sort of way to control how much power the Pelt will get. I don't need it to use full 226watt nor 24 amps. Would a 169W be a better idea? My power supply can only give the pelt 20 amps MAX anyways, because the mobo and stuff are using about ~15.

Should I just use a resistor? or is there something else I need to use?

Thanks!

PSU
17-103-478-02.JPG

lol fan controller...I have nbo clue, but i think they do haev specific things to do that, why not just get a lower W pelt....likw 180-150?

What you could do is get a temp sensor that is mounted in the case that controls the peltier so that it is equal to the on die temp.

I am going to check out radio shack and see if they have some kinda resistor that can resist around 5 Amps. Once it's all done ill take pics and stuff

yeah i realized that heh... still thing to find sometihng that sorta works like a fan controller, but can handle 100 times the load...

forget about the resistor, thats not practical. i used to control my pelt with a "puls-breitensteuerung" (pulse-width modulation???). its a circuit that is used to regulate the rpm´s of dc motors. the one that i have can handle a current from 0 to 10A. i got the construction set with the pcb and all the components from an electronics store for about 30€. i dont know if the frequency hurts the pelt though.

pules modulation will work fine. It will basically turn the pelt on and of really fast so it isn't always on.

If you wanted to use a resistor, the resistor would be creating a whole lot of heat. Most resistors would burn up, but you could get or make one that could take it, but it would be a big waste of energy.

hook it up to your 5v line, if your overclock and heat are enough itll keep it right at or just above ambient temp. I think what you want is the cold plate to be just below ambient temp so you don't have condensation? I ran 5v through mine and my cold plate stayed at about 15c and cpu at about 35c.

Jon

Yes that is exactly what I want to do. Thanks for the advice Jon. Will I have any power problems running it on the 5v line? My PSU is only rated for 29A on the +5v... but 36A on the +12v
Was that a 226w TEC that you were running on the 5v? Would it work if I used a 170w as well or no? I want to do exactly that... keep it right at ambient.

Thanks!

I've been using these pelt controllers for several years.
same pelts, same psupply, same temps, different cpus and mobos. no condensation, run at several degrees below ambient, summer through winter, it self compensates.

www.techcool.com

click on the vpc link

wj

youll only be drawing a few amps, like 5 or 8 amps, thats not a lot. I ran that with my computer on my sparkle 350, youll be ok;)

Jon

Thanks Jon. And wymjym... WOW where did you find that?!??!?! I've never seen anything like that... thats freaking awesome... its like EXACTLY what i was looking for. Thanks!

Edit- Jon and wymjym.. did you insulate at all ?
Edit Again - Hey wymjym, on the site it says that you just plug it into your existing power supply... what power supply are you running it on? thanks!

Last edited:
I am using an external chiller box that houses the ps, vpc, coldloop pump.
The main ps in this box is an astech unit (there is also a cheapo 400 powmax ps in there but not connected at present).

see it here:
http://westech.home.mindspring.com/chiller/mychillerupdate.htm

Originally (4+ years ago) I had the pelt inside the comp case and used a Antec 412 ps for the pelt (156) and the computer, it worked with no problems.

Years ago I did insulate because I wasn't certain I could achieve a dry environment...I finally felt comfortable enough after months of usage and removed all insulation..if you can keep the coldest component at 5 degrees below ambient or warmer you will be good to go without insulation.
wj

I did not insulate my motherboard, I was taking a risk and for some reason I did take the risk:p The cold plate was insulated though.

Jon

insulating or not depends a lot on humidity. Where I live the humidity is ususally really high (100% a lot of the time) so anything even slightly below ambient will form condensation. In dryer places you can go well below ambient and have no problems. Find a chart of the dew point vs. temperature and relative humidity. Combining this with your local weather data should tell you if you need to insulate or not.

Here's the chart I use and it seems pretty accurate

Attachments

• condensationchart.gif
    condensationchart.gif
    46.6 KB · Views: 59
Back