• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x90° Fittings or 180° Bends?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FarEast

Most Generous Member
Ok what is better for flow rates?

2 x 90° Fittings?

OR

180° Bend?

P5290472WinCE.JPG

Now I'm guessing that the 180° Bend is better as it's a more gentle angle but this is just going on looks rather than science. What do you water cooling pro's think?

180 degree bend, definitely. It's much more efficient to gradually change the direction of a moving fluid than to force it to change suddenly. Pour water onto a curved surface, and it'll adhere to the surface and flow downwards. Pour water onto a flat surface and it spatters.

it shouldnt matter... depending on exact setup, if you had 10" of tubing one way you have 5"x2 each in a 90degree bend or a single 10" peice in a 180degree bend, theyd be equal. identical in ever way, and if you joined the 2 5" peices you have the 10" peice.

now the thing people hate 90degree bend fittings cause they do the 90degree bend in less than an inch, its an instant change, no gradual bend at all. so theyd rather make a nice sweeping 10" half circle than 2 sharp curves..

ares350 said:
it shouldnt matter... depending on exact setup, if you had 10" of tubing one way you have 5"x2 each in a 90degree bend or a single 10" peice in a 180degree bend, theyd be equal. identical in ever way, and if you joined the 2 5" peices you have the 10" peice.

now the thing people hate 90degree bend fittings cause they do the 90degree bend in less than an inch, its an instant change, no gradual bend at all. so theyd rather make a nice sweeping 10" half circle than 2 sharp curves..

Yea a 90 degree fitting, like what he is considering.

Definately a 180 degree bend, less flow obstruction, thus higher flow rates = better cooling, plus looks better in my opinion.

Last edited:
A-Speck said:
By 180 degree bend, I think he means what he has pictured, not a 180 degree fitting.

I know I was commenting on that quote on the 90 degree turns, how those would be fittings, and I think the original poster meant either a 180 bend or 2x90 fittings.

either way, you're changing the direction of water and this will cause some restriction. 180 is fine, unless you have some kinkage because of it, then i'd suggest going for 2 90s

The smoother the directional change, the less flow restriction you will have. If you're purely going on looks, that's a subjective choice by you, not by us. If you're going on 'saving space', the 90's are better, but only if you have a pump that is powerful enough to handle that restriction load and still pump efficiently. Personally, I think you should do what you want to do, on the information that you want to do this solely on looks. But, the 180's are better for maintaining a less restrictive system.

-R

Randall said:
The smoother the directional change, the less flow restriction you will have. If you're purely going on looks, that's a subjective choice by you, not by us. If you're going on 'saving space', the 90's are better, but only if you have a pump that is powerful enough to handle that restriction load and still pump efficiently. Personally, I think you should do what you want to do, on the information that you want to do this solely on looks. But, the 180's are better for maintaining a less restrictive system.

-R

ERR ... reread the origianl post...... I said my equations where based on looks not science...meaning a 180° looked like it offered less restriction to flow than two 90° due to two 90° bends being sharper. ie: A banked curve on a race track can be taken faster than a hairpin bend. So thus knowing that race tracks and watercooling aren't the best analagy (sp?) I posted my thoughts here.

As for doing what I want to do yes I'm doing that ....I'm asking for which would offer the better flow rates so that I can get maximum performance out of my setup.

Anyway guys thanks for the input I went with 2x90° bends in the end as it cut down on tubing...After the complete reworks of my system I cut down on around 30cm or tubing..... mainly due to the fact that I placed the Pump higher up the case and closer to the resevior.

yes it does matter as 90deg bends offer a LOT more restriction

then a single peice of tube

It does not really matter if you go with 2 x 90° or a 180° bend, even less if you use "small" tubings as I guess from the pic.
As a personal matter of taste I dislike 90° bends, therefore I don't use them anymore.
But there was no effect on the performance when I removed all 90° bends so it's only a matter of taste.

Back