• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Submersible pump res?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garrik

Does anyone use a submersible pump in a reservoir?

I'm in the process of putting together my first w/c system (air oc'ing is too noisy anymore). Done a lot of searching and don't see a lot of people putting pumps in the res. Been eyeing up the danner Mag3, and it seems like it would work well submerged (don't have to worry about leakage).

I've read through all the arguments on the sticky regarding 'T' vs. res, but it seems to only refer to inline res.

So does anyone out there have any pro/con discussion on pump-in-reservoir? Is there a good source of info that I've overlooked somewhere? I've been searching for several days and can't seem to find anything worthwhile.

Thanks!

I dont run this setup but from my experience you will get one big benefit from doing it like this. The pump will run MUCH quiter submerged. I would go so far as to say that you wont have to worry about the noise of the pump you choose when running them submerged.

The drawback to this is that it will make it larger and the mag3 is known to be large already.

You may get a performance boost also because of the lack of restriction on the intake.

Great Idea if you have the room IMO, I am really noise picky though.

I have a pump(eheim 1250) that runs submerged.

Pros:
  • Possibly reduced noise as ls7corvete mentioned. My pump is nearly inaudible, but I have a mousepad underneath to reduce vibration
  • Greater reliability - Many pumps run cooler and therefore more reliably when submerged, including eheim centrifugal pumps and the danner mag 3
Cons:
  • Submerged pumps dump heat into the water. The extra heat load may be too much for your radiator to handle (I use a dehumidifer to chill my water, and water temp is the same whether the pump is running or not. Things may or may not be different with a conventional set up)
  • Possibly reduced flowrate since the water that is moving into the pump isn't getting cycled directly from outlet to inlet.

Last edited:
My last one was a pump submerged in a reservior, VA1300 in an outdoor electrical box. Ran it for a tad over a year with no complaints for flow or noise. It's mounted on the wall at the back of my desk.
My next one will also be a (larger) pump submerged in a (larger) reservior. It's almost finished, but the project was put on hold while I replace my garage.

A majority of the pump's heat goes into the water anyway. If my system couldn't handle an additional 20-50% of the piddling 28 watt heat output of the pump, I'd think something was drastically wrong, and redo everything!

My current (albeit temporary) one is an internal setup, so I can appreciate how the room-temp guys live. ;)

So it sounds like most of you that do submerged pumps have them external to the case. Any advice for how big the res needs to be compared to the pump?

Also, I assume most of the res's you guys use are homemade. Any tips?

Thx!

I am running a Pump in a res. So far it has been very good for me and does run quietly as well. I put it in an outdoor electrical box with hose barbs inserted into the top where the pump's output is located and one for the intake and a hole in the top for filling and for the air to bleed out. so far I have not seen any air bubbles in the tubes.
I built a box the length and width of the case which houses my Heater Core, Fan and
and res / Pump box. It all fits really nicely. and it makes the computer look taller too.
Is it worth the trouble? I wouid say yes. This morning I checked temps and the CPU at idol is 32 C / 89F usually with a load I see temps of 95 - 106F ....I think that it is working ok

Brian

Back