• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does my setup look ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hordsak

Registered
Does my setup look ok? Pic

Hi, I have some parts on order, and I'm just waiting for them to arrive. In the mean time, I'm trying to plan out some placement of the parts. I've drawn up a little image, that depicts where I've thought about routing the equiptment. The image may look a little shoddy, shoddy so you may have to full screen it to have decent detail. Thanks.

watercoolingsetup.JPG

Last edited:
i dont think your res should be the first thing in line after the pump. i would put it last.... or not there at all

im not sure, but i dont think stacked rads will do you much good. but i have never tried it.

Sorry, I should have made that more clear. It's actually the swiftech fill and bleed kit. There is no res in the system.

sandman001 said:
Just turn your pump around, so the input and output are reversed.

Doesn't that really screw up his flow order? He won't want flow from the pump going to the GPU first, then CPU. I'm assuming by his pic that he's going to store the fill/bleed kit in a drive bay, so this layout streamlines his tubing flow. I thought the location of the fill/bleed didn't really matter.

Just my 2 cents worth - I think that one Rad. Is sufficient and I agree with Zip That the res shouldn't be the first thing. Reason being is that if you are trying to cool the CPU and GPU doesn't it make sense to put the coldest water possible to these water bolcks first? and with your setup because you have so much tubing you may not need a res.

Anyway it does look good as long as you try these changes.

Brian

Garrik said:
Doesn't that really screw up his flow order? He won't want flow from the pump going to the GPU first, then CPU. I'm assuming by his pic that he's going to store the fill/bleed kit in a drive bay, so this layout streamlines his tubing flow. I thought the location of the fill/bleed didn't really matter.

It matters more than the order of your blocks. He might gain .25C by doing it with the cpu first, but int hise case it will be easier to fill and bleed.

The pump can just sukc the water straight from the fill-bleed and through teh system.

I agree with sandman. The order doesn't make that much of a difference when not running tecs - probably .5c at most. Pulling from the fb would make bleeding that much easier and allow the pump to have some set water to pull from, like a res. Either way it will work and without testing that setup in many ways, you'll never know what's the best.

As for the rads, another member of the forum did that and thier case is in the wc gallery. It should work but are you willing to pay the extra cost? You could easily fit a large fedco 2-342 up top a case like that, maybe even two. Also, if you look in clasifieds there is someone, I think WAC2 or something like that, selling 4x120mm rads with shrouds, barbes, rad, fans, and mounting stuff for 40 bucks.

pwnt by pat said:
I agree with sandman. The order doesn't make that much of a difference when not running tecs - probably .5c at most. Pulling from the fb would make bleeding that much easier and allow the pump to have some set water to pull from, like a res. Either way it will work and without testing that setup in many ways, you'll never know what's the best.

As for the rads, another member of the forum did that and thier case is in the wc gallery. It should work but are you willing to pay the extra cost? You could easily fit a large fedco 2-342 up top a case like that, maybe even two. Also, if you look in clasifieds there is someone, I think WAC2 or something like that, selling 4x120mm rads with shrouds, barbes, rad, fans, and mounting stuff for 40 bucks.

I picked up an extra 676 rad for really cheap, so I might as well use it. I'm just tossing around ideas right now.

ble81 said:
Just my 2 cents worth - I think that one Rad. Is sufficient and I agree with Zip That the res shouldn't be the first thing. Reason being is that if you are trying to cool the CPU and GPU doesn't it make sense to put the coldest water possible to these water bolcks first? and with your setup because you have so much tubing you may not need a res.

Anyway it does look good as long as you try these changes.

Brian

Of course 1 rad is sufficent, but since I have 2 of them, and a MCP600, why not use them. It certianly can't make the temps higher. Oh, and it's not a res it's a fill and bleed kit from swiftech.

Garrik said:

Yes, that's what I was hoping for, a very nice neat stream-line setup. I don't want 10 tubes running up and down.. and I'm willing to take a .5 or 1c loss from it.

OK hordsak,

I did not know that was a fill bleed kit. Thanks for the correction.
As I understand it the order doesn't really matter that much I have seen tests about what the proper order is and the temps only had .5 C difference. Still believing in coldest first I would put the liquid through the radiadors first as they would cool it first before getting to the water blocks. and then the temp would dissipate more as it went through the tubes.
Hope this helps
Brian

ble81 said:
OK hordsak,

I did not know that was a fill bleed kit. Thanks for the correction.
As I understand it the order doesn't really matter that much I have seen tests about what the proper order is and the temps only had .5 C difference. Still believing in coldest first I would put the liquid through the radiadors first as they would cool it first before getting to the water blocks. and then the temp would dissipate more as it went through the tubes.
Hope this helps
Brian

Ahh, I see what your saying. I'll do up a diagram, and see how it looks with what you have mentioned in mind. But, I do believe that it won't be as stream-lined as I like. But I'll look into that. Thanks for your input.

I would flip around the radiator and the fans, so that the fans PULL the air through the radiator, and that the radiator is not the highest point in your water circuit.

EwoutvB said:
I would flip around the radiator and the fans, so that the fans PULL the air through the radiator, and that the radiator is not the highest point in your water circuit.

Ummm, I'm not sure I understand how flipping the fans causes the rad not te be the highest point in the system. Besides, I think having the rad up high might have some other bennies - like natural circulation in the event of a pump failure. I seem to recall someone else posting about having a pump fail and their system accidently going on natural circ for like a month.

Seems like a great fail-safe to me.

Back