• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water pump caused monitor flicker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lemon

I have a problem here, my pump (submersible type, unknown brand because the lable was torn) caused my monitor to flicker. This is really annoying. do you guys have any idea what can I do to shield the damn EMI?

Is it a Sony, Nec or Dell monitor? I had the same probs with my Hydor L30 and a Sony 200ES, it started to flicker for a couple of weeks then the monitor died, it got fried so to speak. I read some where about geting the monitor to use a lower refreshrate, maybe worth a try, if not use lead around the pump ;) These are my until now known advices.

Last edited:
Any conductive metal of sufficient thickness should work. It's called a Faraday cage.

My MaxiJet is hanging right next to my AGP card (almost touching the edge) and was causing bad monitor flicker, so I covered it with copper flashing (a thin sheet of pure copper). Cheaper aluminum should also work.
A side benefit: Since copper can release heat to air better than plastic can, my pump seems to run cooler now. It helps too that it's in the airstream through the radiator.

You can try...several layers though because foil is really thin.

Just make sure the pump can't touch anything electrical, because this makes it a large conductor that can move around the case. ;)

Turn off the psu switch, to make sure there's no power on inside while you setup.

The real strange thing is that the L30 did this only to my Sony monitor, any other, like my viewsonic P95F+ and LG worked fine. Ive read somewhere that this affected the Multisync monitors, but i really dont know.

My monitor is an NEC E1100 multisync. My system is fully enclosed in my Sonata case, and gets power from a different source, so it was getting to the monitor via the AGP card. This fixed it.

Dcp_0912.jpg

I had to change my setup some to include an NB block and to quiet it down since I'd posted a while ago. The copper stops the EMI.
The piece of tubing that's glued to it keeps it from touching the case door.

Have a groovy day!

*heh, just noticed my camera date and time are off...just took that pic 10 minutes ago.

This wold have been a great pice of information back then, when i used my sony monitor. It was the best monitor i ever used, sadly its gone now.... Have you any clues of what could have been damaged? i mean if it´s cheap to fix. Sonys monitors are good but expensive thou...

I understand how monitors work, I've even made a couple of million parts for Sony that hold the screen mask in place. But I don't know specifically how their made.
I'd guess that if EMI is left unchecked it would harm the alignment of the cathode gun at the back of the tube, and possibly damage the guns themselves.
The way electronics are made, and the costs for technicians that actually know what they're doing, it usually costs more to fix them than to replace them.

But now we know how to avoid it...pass it on!

MG CHECMICALS Super Shield Conductive Nickel Coating -
Reduce or eliminate EMI / RFI interference in plastic electronic enclosures. An excellent general purpose EMI / RFI shielding spray. Protects sensitive electronic devices from electromagnetic interference. Ideal for use on plastic electronic enclosures.
12 oz. aerosol, Super Shield Conductive Coating $22.95
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/webtronics/12ozaersupsh.html

Diggrr said:
I understand how monitors work, I've even made a couple of million parts for Sony that hold the screen mask in place. But I don't know specifically how their made.
I'd guess that if EMI is left unchecked it would harm the alignment of the cathode gun at the back of the tube, and possibly damage the guns themselves.
The way electronics are made, and the costs for technicians that actually know what they're doing, it usually costs more to fix them than to replace them.

But now we know how to avoid it...pass it on!
Yes i would guess that to, it would be cheaper to buy a new one, but god i loved that monitor. Sony are stopping manufacturing CRT monitors and goes for the flat new ones, and i would like a CRT, they are hard to find new nowdays, in scandinavia that is.

Back