• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Ram on 9800 Pro Effectively

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

Hello, my 9800 pro is oc'ed to Core: 459mhz Ram: 380mhz. Is there a more effective way to cool ram other than ramsinks and possibely on a budget. The problem is, im on limited space because I have a Thermaltake Giant 3. I want to get my ram over 400mhz without graphical errors. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You could also consider putting little 5v fans over the ramsinks. The OCZ copper ones work the best for this since they are flat. A couple guys over at extremesystems have done this.

There is only one problem. I have very limited space between the heatsinks and the video card. I was wondering if i could rig something with heatpipes. Like connecting ramsinks with heatpipes then later putting em out to another bigger heatsink. If I were gonna do this mod, it would take um... AWHILE!

When you take the heat away from the gpu the memory runs much cooler. I noticed that after watercooling my gpu my memory doesn't get hot anymore and overclocks way better.

for normal people, like watercooling the gpu, that would lower the ram temps- -but this guy's ram is like, inside of a little "heatsink cave" and doesnt get much airflow, or...do i not know what i'm talking about...lol

get better ramsinks, and then put a tiny fan on each ramsink... that should do the job damn good.
hell i put ramsinks and small fans on my Mofsets, and suddenly my vcore is .05 higher

if you want to take your memory over 400 then you will need to volt mod your card

Neil.b said:
if you want to take your memory over 400 then you will need to volt mod your card

I gained very little after doing the VDDR volt mod, the best gain I got was flashing my Sapphire 9800pro with a gigacube bios as suggested by d]g[ts. I believe this only benefits cards equiped with samsung ram, I gained over 20mhz if I can remember correctly.

bt

One question, Ive heard of volt modding and stuff. But, how do you do it. Do you flash bios from another card, do you have to do some tweaking to the hardware? Please Reply

basicly you have to solder a resistor onto the board so its not for the faint hearted

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
One question, Ive heard of volt modding and stuff. But, how do you do it. Do you flash bios from another card, do you have to do some tweaking to the hardware? Please Reply

Volt mod guides for 9800pro:
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=gethowto&howtoID=42

Large collection of bios files:
http://softmod.ocfaq.com/bios.php

Be warned: If you can't afford to buy another card if it goes wrong then don't do it. I suggest you read up on both matters before making any decision.

Volt modding and bios flashing will instantly VOID YOUR WARRANTY etc etc.

Before you think about volt modding you need to think about cooling your card better as it will probably be running much hotter than the standard HSF can handle.

Unfortunately I lost most of my digital pics with a failed hard drive, I may be able to post some pics of my volt modded 9800pro later when I get home.

bt

The bios flash is only good with E-die samsung ram. (look at ramcode and see XXXXXXX8E-GC2A) then ya can use the gigacube bios for a nice increasse.

For flashing make sure ya have a PCI video card incase the worst happens, and ALWAYS save the original bios before flashing. You do this so you can reflash if things go wrong.

bobtod gave you the right place for a voltmod, but personaly I would not do vmods with any type of aircooling. Since the same gains recieved from the mod can be had with better cooling, and not being as longterm destructive to the GPU.

dreammmatt said:
for normal people, like watercooling the gpu, that would lower the ram temps- -but this guy's ram is like, inside of a little "heatsink cave" and doesnt get much airflow, or...do i not know what i'm talking about...lol

I just realized what I said was incredibly stupid - - lol - - why would his ram be hidden under the heatsink...if he's no longer using it, cuz he's watercooling ~ LOL :bang head

I guess I said that on one of my 'off' days :temper:

Zalaman makes some slim fans that are designed to mount on a expansion bay screw and it sets the fan right next to the card. Or just cut a hole in the case and put a fan blowing on it.

Believe me I have that covered, but thank you all for the help, im planning to buy a few tweakmonster or OCZ heatsinks and then going with a few slim fans.

Back