• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm usre this has been asked before...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

unwanted thread

It appears i cannot delete this....i've made a new one because this one became off topic, and filled with generally bad ideas by myself. I tried to delete it, but apparently i cannot do this.

I would appreciate it iether get deleted or move to the ends of the earth...the second page.

(why can i not delete a thread/lock a thread i created? i would think i could)

Last edited:
Yeah...this HAS been asked before. Try searching again. I'll provide an answer anyway though...it's just hard to believe you couldn't find much.

A Pump: Find a Danner Mag 3. You should be able to get one at Petsmart (maybe) or at www.marinedepot.com
Waterblock: Get a DTek White Water or a DangerDen RBX. You can probably find one for cheaper in the classifieds.
Radiator: Get a new 1986 Chevette Heatercore. Should be around $20 at www.autozone.com
Tubing: Get maybe 12 feet of PVC Chemical tubing from www.mcmaster.com - part number 5231K237. That gives you some room to mess up and upgrade without having to get more later. It's dirt cheap anyway, and that IS Clearflex 60.

Estimated Cost:
Pump: $45 shipped
Waterblock: $40 shipped
Heatercore $30 shipped
Tubing: $8 shipped
Miscellaneous clamps, fittings, plumbing tape, t-line stuff....$20?

Total: $143

thanks...i'll run another search. I'm still getting used to the new look on the board and its acting kinda funny for me. thing is i have a hard time searching when i dont know exactly what i'm looking for.

thanks for the links and answers, does anyone know of any cheaper but still decent substitutes? $150 is a little out of my range atm...

i read most of the stickies, they have great info but i diddnt see anything about a cheap upgradable setup....i really hate sticking my neck out this far for this very reason, i dont know much at all about watercooling and i feel like i'm getting a bad name here in the section by not understanding...

as an update, i think i just killed my torin trying to quiet it down, so i can no longer use that to cool a heater core...

i guess i'll have another look at the stickies and see if i can find the post with all of my answers. mustve looked it over or diddnt understand or something...

(edit) all i'm finding in the stickies is more questions, and i cant open a search in a new window grr...not that it matters, every search i do i just find 2 things, something about UT and something about diable in the games forum. search broke? (/edit)

Last edited:
Search functions might be a little messed up. Don't worry about a name you're making, we all start somewhere.

What else do you need? You may be able to save some cash by downgrading to a TC-4 or Spiral and a Hydor L20 Pump (both available at DTek Customs).

well i'm still kind of iffy on the whole watercooling idea...everyone i've talked to is iether ignorant (at school) or getting out of overclocking because its expensive...

the thing is, i'm not watercooling for the temps, just the noise. i'd like ot keep my processor under 45C...but my system is just too noisy.
ive come to the conclusion that my case flow is noisy because i need allot of it to exaust the cpu heat, or it just gets reingested by the cpu fan, and my temps go up.
with my torin my temps were great, i loved it. but it was noisy, and now its dead because it was noisy and i screwed with it. (note to self, update sig)

i'd probably ne abel to get a heatercore from a junkyard or someone i know for cheap, or even free...

but then i need a waterblock and a pump. a waterblock is going to run me some cash, and so will a pump...
i'm afraid the pump is going to end up being as loud as the fans its replacing.
Then i still have the fans that cool off the heatercore....i'm thinking of converting all of my case fans to 7V and make them intake, and add a 7V on the door as intake (as to cool my video card once i replace the cooling on that to get rid of the whiney fans)

so i'd have 5 intake 7v fans...then use the radiator/heatercore as an exaust somewhere.

is it possible to quiet a system down with watercooling on a jobless/going into college/getting a licence soon budget?

'm afraid the pump is going to end up being as loud as the fans its replacing.
That shouldn't be a problem. The Mag 3 is supposed to be one of the louder pumps out there, and I can't hear mine when it's in the case. As long as you dampen the sound properly, it shouldn't be bad at all.

As for budget concerns...that's probably something you'll have to decide. You could just get a quieter fan and deal with warmer temps. Might have to clock down a little, but it would be quiet.

you can buy a full setup for under a 100 bucks, maybe a little over with shipping. I have the 25 dtek spiral block, the 86 heatercore, and a $22 eheim compact pump and im getting 33 degrees overlocking 300 Mhz. And I now realize how loud my hardrives are!

the 86 chevette heater cores on napaonline arent the right kind/hose size/price...

Item#: BK 6603108

Price: $ 39.99

is this cheaper locally?

how about a waterblock? i've been looking at dangerden.com and the tdx apeals to me (i dislike the 3 hose thing on the rbx, more to go wrong) but its a little pricey. is it worth the cash or is there a similar performer for a cheaper budget?
i see the lucite topped ones, i perferr a metal top...is lucite better?

pumps....will any 12V 1/2" id pump work? is there a decent cheap one that wont drive me mad out there, or am i gonna pull one out of the dump?

Waterblock : D-tek TC-4 (don't use poly top)
pump : Hydor L20
radiator : heater core

If you want to save money , you can use T-Tube instead of reservoir.

that looks workable. i can probly make my own res...just a few barbs and a container as far as i can tell :)

(this is como)

Spiral Waterblock 25$
Via 1300 Pump 23$
Unpainted Pro-120 Core 30$
Tubing+Misc @ Home Depot 15$

that's under 100$ and should perform nicely. you can use some of your existing 80mm fans or whatever on the radiator. If you are too broke to afford a shroud, get some zip ties while you are at home depot, they will do the job surprisingly well ;)

"---------------------
Spiral Waterblock 25$
Via 1300 Pump 23$
Unpainted Pro-120 Core 30$
Tubing+Misc @ Home Depot 15$
"---------------------

yay, i have zip ties already! whoot.

anyone know about the "Overclockers.com Waterblock Test Results" page? this waterbock coems in right near the bottom, but i dont know if that like a performance rating or just in order tested or what...
can anyone attest to this waterblock being worth the cash? (althoguh for $25...heh its hard to go wrong)

the pump looks good, cheap and small, seems reliable from what i'm reading. says its quiet too...

diddnt find anything about that core. what is it?

the block is not bad... many people have used it on here. the pump is insanely quiet and that radiator is perfect, it's basically a heater core

okay...do you have a link to the radiator? i'll of course look for a cheaper heatercore locally, but $30 isnt bad from what i'm seeing.

any pics?

I'd spent a bit more and get a Hydor L20 or L30. Some people successfully use ViaAquas (don't want to offend anyone :D) but I've heard all kinds of horror stories, as have many others.

You also want to get Clearflex tubing from McMaster. Trust me on that one...it's WAY easier to work with than HomeDepot's vinyl tubing, and you'll be a lot happier. Waterblock is a good one, I used one for about two years.

Back