• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hagios

Registered
Okay, I'm thinking of getting a WC setup once I move out to CA this next week, and I was wondering...

I've found lots on good pumps and all, but I haven't found anything about this:

I've got a A64 3200+ and a Radeon 9800 (Pro flashed to XT). They both can get pretty toasty. Would it be safe/wise/advisable to put both of these babies under water cooling, or should I just stick with the basic CPU only setup? How would you guys, who are far more experienced than I, suggest I do this?

Thanks.

I'm cooling my CPU only with my water setup. The waterblock for the GPU is like an extra $40, plus hoses and such, not to mention flow restriction on the GPU block and the extra latent heat it soaks up, thus reducing the cooling potential on your CPU. Frankly, I don't think its necessary, but if thats what you want, its safe.

I cool both my cpu and gpu, and yeah its safe as long as your leak test and get hose clamps. I havn't had a problem with it since I replaced the threaded barbs on my Hydor L30. So leak test, do it properly and dont cut any corners and you will be fine. Yeah water cooling is advisable

Basically, as long as you have a decent pump (on par with a Eheim 1250 or Swiftech MCP600) and a decent radiator (120mm or twin 80mm), your cooling setup will be more than adequate to handle CPU, GPU, and NB blocks. While each additional block will add restriction to the system and extra heat, the way I look at it is that each block removes yet another noisy fan from your system.

Now if only there was a way to do something like OTES with water cooling...

You can actualy, but you would have to customly solder/mill a block, I know a ton that have done it, but you end up slowing down / getting less cooling for the other components, just air cool them.

Sounds good... One last thing, I don't want to make custom block(s) yet--though, I might in the future. What should I do about my 9800's RAM? The 256 meg model lets the ram get pretty hot, too...

I would just put an 80mm fan blowing on it. Stick it on your side panel, or make a little thing to hang off a PCI bracket or something.

i heard the OCZ ramsinks are good, i saw them pretty cheap at www.svc.com .. I would double check with someone else to see if they actually good since ive never used them

Okay, well that's probably enough to get me started... I've already got a 92mm fan setup under my card (MoonWolf made this, actually), so I'll hope for the best, and likely get some ramsinks, and grab an eheim pump, and danger den blocks.

w00tw00t

When you watercool the gpu it takes most of the heat away and the ram runs much cooler and overclocks better.

I fail to grasp how cooling a CPU manages to cool the RAM as well...

[EDIT]
Also, where would you guys suggest I purchase the stuff for WC? And which products? (Don't mistake this as a troll--that belongs on an AMD/Intel or a NV/ATi forum ;))

I said gpu. The gpu heats up the whole video card. So when you cool the gpu the ram doesn't heat up so much.

pelikan said:
I said gpu. The gpu heats up the whole video card. So when you cool the gpu the ram doesn't heat up so much.

hm.. that doesn't happen in my case..
i always thought that the air coming out of the gpu cooler would cool memory better the a fanless waterblock.

Back