• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dangerden RBX/TDX AMD Socket hold down question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JTanczos

My motherboard has the 4 holes needed to use the standard version of either but I was curious if it was eaaiser or more advantagous to spend more money and use the socket hold down version. Reason I ask is all the horror stories where people accidently removed small circuits around the mounting holes. Also with the socket hold down version wouldnt it be easier to just change the mounting bracket when I upgrade to A64 later on or would I still need a new waterblock for the CPU? I dont understand why you cant just build a generalized waterblock with different mounting kits. Am I wrong that they are basically all flat surfaces with the only difference in how they are mounted and the size of the chip? I mean wouldnt a larger block give more surface area for water/fluid to transfer heat?

I did a search but its REALLY messed up at the moment.

JT

The holes give a much more secure and consistent mount. If you have holes, use 'em; leave the socket clips to the people with lame hole-less boards.

If you're worried about damaging resistors and such around the holes, make sure to use soft rubber washers (not just the hard nylon ones they give you). Something like the replacement washers for faucets will conform to the such near the holes without crushing them.

Or better yet, make a simple back plate. Get a square of lexan and drill holes to match the mobo hole pattern, then epoxy machine screws or threaded rod into those holes.

the 4 holes will fit more securely.

all (i think) of the companies make a block, and then have either different tops or adaptor plates to fit them to different systems.

if you upgrade, you should be able to get a new top to fit your new cpu. you'll be changing the motherboard anyways so it will be out of the case so holes v. socket is not an issue.

or you can do what i did. with those blocks theres a bunch of thiner wider washers, 12 of them. there is also 4 taller less fat washers. u used the fat ones on the top of the board and then used 2 of the thiner ones ontop of the springs and i had no problems at all. good luck with what ever you do.

Also, carefully site the contact area of any washers or standoffs before installation. Just gently place them precisely where the will be during installation and see if they touch anything. If so, use a smaller washer or standoff or mod the ones you have to avoid damage.

Back