• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Wetter- concentration? / ratio ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EwoutvB

Hey guys,

I got some water wetter ready for my watercooling, but what ratio of volume of water wetter should I have compared to volume of distrilled water?

One capful for every two litres. If you have plastic components (I mean more cheaper plastic like vinyl tubing or the housing on some pumps) then I recommend that you use a 45/55 mix of anti-freeze to distilled water along with that water wetter.

ack. 3-5%, but you shouldn't use it

they cleared out all of the old posts from the forums, i can't link you! but there's an old thread of BillA trying to figure out the cause of the flow/pressure fluctuations in his system, and it turns out it's the buildup of water wetter gunk. The thing is, water wetter is suppposed to leave this gunk, it leaves a residue all over everything, supposedly to help with heat transfer. but it clouds up your tubing very quickly (within a few days), plus it can clog blocks like the whitewater, cascade, RBX, etc. any of them with small channels. all in all it is just NOT recommended

Plastic? How can a high concentration of antifreeze help plastic components? If you are mixing anodized aluminum (common in water block tops) and copper they say to use no more than 25% antifreeze. Most people use pumps with at least some plastic that contacts the water, and I have heard nothing of additives for that. 45% antifreeze will increase temps a lot. What's your reasoning?

LtBlue14 said:
ack. 3-5%, but you shouldn't use it

they cleared out all of the old posts from the forums, i can't link you! but there's an old thread of BillA trying to figure out the cause of the flow/pressure fluctuations in his system, and it turns out it's the buildup of water wetter gunk. The thing is, water wetter is suppposed to leave this gunk, it leaves a residue all over everything, supposedly to help with heat transfer. but it clouds up your tubing very quickly (within a few days), plus it can clog blocks like the whitewater, cascade, RBX, etc. any of them with small channels. all in all it is just NOT recommended

Okay no problem then, I got large 1/2" ID blocks, and only that.

ZachM said:
Plastic? How can a high concentration of antifreeze help plastic components? If you are mixing anodized aluminum (common in water block tops) and copper they say to use no more than 25% antifreeze. Most people use pumps with at least some plastic that contacts the water, and I have heard nothing of additives for that. 45% antifreeze will increase temps a lot. What's your reasoning?

Supposidly stains the tubing, especialy the cheaper ones, but I don't know how it would effect plastic at all lol, What is your reasoning?

Okay no problem then, I got large 1/2" ID blocks, and only that.

Ah I didn't mean the inlets on the block, I meant the design inside. What water block are you using?

PolarFLO SF, like i said, LARGE 1/2"ID not those blocks where they try to jet in the water to create higher flow...

The other blocks are also PolarFLO , the chipset and VPU block.

ZachM said:

There where several old threads that had this issue. In one, a person using water wetter had his vinyl tubes eaten through at a LAN party while in another a user using a via aqua submerged in a watter wetter filled resivoir had his pump casing crumble. Water wetter was designed to work mainly in a rubber-metal enviroment and it isn't very plastic friendly.

As for the 44\55 ratio of antifreeze to water, it is the same ratio of water to anti-freeze I have both in my computer and in my car. My system uses a homemade copper pipe-cap waterblock which doesn't restrict alot of water flow so I can get away with the thicker coolant. I would definatly recommend half the total amount of anti-freeze to water (20/80) but this would make a coolant that doesn't last as long. The stuff in my PC right now has been in there for well over 5 months without a real drop in the temperatures I started with (around 39c-43c in relation to an ambient temp of 22c with a non-overclocked athlon xp 2000+ /w a palomino core).

As for mixing anti-freeze/water with water wetter, it was something that I advised to a friend who was building a discount water cooling system. So far, most of the stuff in his system is running smoothly and the high amount of water wetter he put in (a whooping 3 caps for every two litres) hasn't affected his parts as of yet.

Evil_Eye said:
There where several old threads that had this issue. In one, a person using water wetter had his vinyl tubes eaten through at a LAN party while in another a user using a via aqua submerged in a watter wetter filled resivoir had his pump casing crumble. Water wetter was designed to work mainly in a rubber-metal enviroment and it isn't very plastic friendly.

How is he sure it was the waterwetter that there was a hole in his tubing, could have just been crappy tubing?

The Via Aqua isn't the best pump to start with, and the quality plastic is absolute crap...

WaterWetter is designed to do nothing to plastic... So it really shouldn't happen.

Back