• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jiggamanjb

After doing some research, I've decided to jump into water cooling. Attached is a pic of what I picked out. I wanted something simple and nothing extreme, and to stay around $100. What are your thoughts.....?

Attachments

• setup.bmp
    182.2 KB · Views: 151
jiggamanjb said:
After doing some research, I've decided to jump into water cooling. Attached is a pic of what I picked out. I wanted something simple and nothing extreme, and to stay around $100. What are your thoughts.....?
i suspect this is your best bet at that budget:
http://www.aquastealth.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9&HS=1

edit: added the spec of the kit
BE cooling Slit Edge P4/AMD WB
Black & Chrome HeaterCore Radiator With shroud!
Delta 120mm Ball Bearing Fan with Power connector and fan screws (130cfm or 85cfm, or 90cfm sunon)
Assembled Via Aqua 1/2" pump
1/2" Fill T
7 feet of MasterKlear 1/2" Tubing
$105

could swap the tubing for tygon for another $13

Last edited:
yeah, cheap pump, cheap rad, cheap block = low performance

but honestly if you got a better rad you might get away with the block and pump.

That waterblock will do him just fine. Just don't exect low 30*C load temps with the 80mm BIX Micro and waterblock.

I have a TC4, MCP600, BIX w/shroud and I max out load at around 43*C. I still gotta correct some tubing problems and such but you can compare the stuff like apples and oranges.

Dump the pump, rad and watter wetter, buy a MCP600 pump or a Danner, and a heatercore, as for the watter wetter use antifreezer or D-tek supercool or something in that way. There have been reports where ww cracks plexitops tanks and palstic pumps, i would not take that risk.
And as an edit, noticed it just now, use metal clamps instead, much better.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies!!!! This is me now... :bang head
I am will definitly get a new rad. Checking them out now.
I already got the tubing from Home Depot, so that's why I didn't put it on there.
I wasn't sure about the water wetter. Guess I better research the additives a little better. Are most of you guys using just plain anti-freeze? And on that note, if I use dye for the water will the anti-freeze alter the color?
Thanks for the tip on the metal clamps Waterbug, that was gonna be my next question.
I shall return with my new shopping list so you guys can tear that one up too!!!!!!! :)

oh yea, almost forgot... Should I just go with the fill T, or with a reservoir? Which would be best for a newbie to water?

There is good advice on additives in a recent blog on the front page...check it out. As for Res or not. T-lines are compact, but take a long time to fill and empty. I like them, even though I have a res now... Reservoir's are tricky though, you have to have room, you have to place in-put barbs that are larger than the rest of the system connections. I have a res but to ensure it does not restrict flow, the input barb is 3/4" instead of the 1/2" connections I have throughout. I set it up to be able to drain as well as fill real simple. I made it out of PVC plumbing parts.

OK, here is the new shopping list (at least the expensive stuff):

Swiftech MCW5000
Black Ice Micro 2 dual
Maxijet or Via Aqua
Bay-Res Reservoir

Back