• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temperature Spike of Unknown Cause

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

A-Speck

So about 15 minutes ago, I was cruising the forums, when all of a sudden my comp's temperature alarm came on. I immediately checked the temps, and I was at 89 degrees C. I immediately cut the power, then started checking my connections to make sure my fans were powered and my pump was running. No problems there. After giving it a while to cool down, I started her up again and went into the BIOS. Temps were holding steady at 44 C, so I went ahead and went back into Windows. No problems since. From the suddenness of the spike, it sounds almost like my pump just quit doing its job, but it's a brand new Swifty MCP600, and it's working fine now. I'm definitely keeping an eye on the temperature now, though.

Anyone have any ideas?

I've got plenty of extra water in my T-line, so I don't know how an airbubble would get into the line.

How would a big airbubble cause a big temperature spike like that, anyway?

Your temperature monitor probably just malfuntioned for a second or two. Did you touch your waterblock right after you cut the power to see how hot it was? I have one thermal monitor on my computer that jumps sometimes, I am pretty sure it is because my rails aren't close enough to spec and just goes a little wacko. Like all the way up to 79ºC down to -52ºC. Though it doesn't happen very often. I would say something like a rail just jumped for a second and it reported an incorrect temp.

I actually booted it up about a minute after it turned off, but the temperature warning buzzer started right up again, so I turned it back off. That probably means the temperature monitor wasn't on the fritz, I guess. I've actually never overheated a system before this.

Just an update, here. My pump died on me. Out of all the brand new Swifty pumps out there, I had to get a bum one. I'm RMAing it, should have a new one by next week.

When I called Swiftech, the guy had me look at the serial number. It started with an "S," which I believe means it's of the newer rev.

Back