• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too much flow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

y2j

Hi,

I just want to know if it is possible to have to much water flow in a water cooled setup? I have a Thermaltake Aquarius II. The pump broke that came with the kit. It used to flow up to 22.5 gph. I want to replace it with a eheim 1048 which flows about 158 gph. Will this hurt heat transfer or improve it? What do you think?

the pump in that moves 22gph??? damn...that is one wimpy pump.
the pump in my current system is rated to move about 19 gallons per minute. :D

the move to the eheim isnt going to hurt you unless the rest of the aquarius cannot handle the increase inflow/pressure.

i had a thermaltake aquarious, dude i wouldnt try that pump with that setup, the hoses are 1/4 :eek: enheim is like 15 times as powerful. I was using the block from the thermaltake kit with the new setup and it was screwing up my hole setup, making the pump hot and REALLY slowing down the flow. That kit just aint designed for real flow. I would move on to a better setup like i did. The thermaltake kit is a good introduction to watercooling and gets your foot in the door.Also took away some of the paranoia for me too.

The more water you pump through your sys... I mean, the faster it goes, the better. When I first started watercooling, an engineer/relative told me to restrict flow through the chevette core, to "pick up more heat". I was polite and said nothing.

more flow isnt everything. The faster you push it through th loop, the less time it has to give off heat.

Exactly... it might seem counterintuitive at first, but the more flow, the better. You should research the forum to find out precisely why this is so. There are plenty of explanations; bill a has the most concise.

No kidding, I am sick of people saying there is some kind of ideal speed where the water has time to "pick up more heat".

come'on people, the heat transfer is related to the temperature differance between the water and the block, and the heat transfer coefficent which has to do with renolds and nuslet (spelling?) numbers and some other freaky crap (you find it imperically)

Speeding up the flow increases the temperature difference (less "heated up water") and increases the turbulence, raising the heat transfer coefficent. Both of these lower thermal resistance and lower temperatures.

Some one should make a sticky that just says all this.

real quick ... cathar mentioned that if you time a race car over a set distance of track at a given speed and then double the speed of the car but time the same stretch of track you will find that the car will spend the same amount of time in that section of track its just that at double the speed the car will cross that section of track more often

thats correct. in WCing it has the benifit that the difrential will be greater between the 2 mediums resulting in a greater efficientcy of cooling.

Back