• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ANY problems with Hydor L30, pls post here !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dinster

Registered
i'm going to buy this Hydor L30 considering its price compared to Eheim 1250..

gonna pair it with only DD Maze 4 for my AMD mobile..

any problem so far guys ?

the majority of the problems people complain about are user error .
i myself have caused problems with a L30 1

the problem is that people open them and when they put the impellor back in they do it wrong which leads to an improper seat whci leads to it vibrating free then scratching the impellor magnet against the rest of the motor.

a lot of people try and say that isnt what happend but it is usualy the case.

I havent seen this problem for a long time, but a while back there were a few with broken impeller shafts.

Jon

AngryAlpaca said:
Have you considered a Mag 3? It's cheap and it's good. It has a minor leak, but that is easily fixed.

thanks for ur advice.. the problem is Mag 3 is not available here in Malaysia..

the only choice i have now is L30, both Eheim 1250 and 1048..

yeah.. i can buy the Mag 3 here.. but the input voltage is different.. 120V..

Hmmm, well here's my $.02 pumpwise.

I personally like DC watercooling pumps, and here's my reasons why

-Convience. I dont want to have to drill a hole through my case or get a relay for my pump to even work with my computer, let alone add another plug to my already crowded powerstrip, so I personally favor a simple pump that can just be plugged into a molex connector.

-Noise. Direct Current (DC) motors are generally quieter than Alternating Current (AC) motors.

-Looks. With the exception of the Laing D4, I personally think DC pumps look better than AC pumps just because they can be smaller (and are usually meant for watercooling too)

-Warranty. Most pumps meant for watercooling (MCP600 Rev. 2, AquaXtreme) have a 2 year warranty. I dont think the Mag3 has a warranty like that.

That's my viewpoint on pumps, however if you must go with the hydor L30, I've heard it's pretty good. I haven't heard of many L30's failing. See if you can find an L35 somewhere, as they're probably better than the L30.

Oh. If you're in Malaysia and can't afford the Eheims, go for the Hydors. I have not heard of problems with them.
-Noise. Direct Current (DC) motors are generally quieter than Alternating Current (AC) motors.
Ever listen to a D4?
-Looks. With the exception of the Laing D4, I personally think DC pumps look better than AC pumps just because they can be smaller (and are usually meant for watercooling too)
The D4 makes up a good percentage of the DC pumps... Yes, the MCP600 does look nice, I'll admit.
There's no such thing as a pump built for watercooling.
-Warranty. Most pumps meant for watercooling (MCP600 Rev. 2, AquaXtreme) have a 2 year warranty. I dont think the Mag3 has a warranty like that.
The Mag 3 has a 3 year warranty.

thorilan:

so which is the correct way to place the impeller back??
(i might be one of those u mentioned :) )

I had a problem with my pump not working. I had to take the impeller off to see what happened and realized that the magnet-impeller thing couldn't move freely around the metal bar. Also realized that the white plastic thing (where u put the impeller) which goes into the magnet hole was not glued and could be moved away from the magnet as u see in the pic. Should I glue it to the magnet? (guess so).

Now after taking the thing off, the metal bar can be introduced through the magnet-impeller hole so the magnet-impeller can spin freely around the bar. Before, the bar was somehow fixed, so the magnet-impeller couldnt spin, unless the full set spined, but the bar is fixed to the pump by the endcaps so... thats why it couldnt spin.

So my questions are:

Can u move freely the magnet-impeller set over the metal bar in ur pump?
Is your white plastic thing glued to the magnet?

Sorry If I couldn't explain it better.

seeya

Attachments

• impeller.jpg
    impeller.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:
I had an L30 as my first pump, but I ended up switching to an MCP600 within a month because the noise that the pump was causing was driving me nuts. I had never taken the pump apart, and had it well cushioned by 1/2" pieces of foam, but the thing still made a rattling noise that was audible over my fans at 2000 RPM.

Once I switched to the Swifty, I could turn my fans down to 1200 RPM and still not hear the pump.

Of course, then the Swifty decided to stop working all of a sudden...

Guess I just don't have very good luck with pumps. :(

I've been running an L30 for about 18 months now without any trouble. It's quite quiet as long a it is mechanically isolated from the surface upon which it is mounted. The stock suction cups or a piece of foam are adequate for this purpose.

ok for mavrick . you didnt take a pic of the most important parts together.

btw you shouldnt ever have to take the impellor blades off the axle

.the key to doing the mounting correctly is to make sure that the impellor and axle are mounted onto the black intake plastic correctly

ill post a pic in a few min

you want the the impellor very firmly seated into it with the impellor blades perfectly level and equal distantce on all sides from the flat surface of the intake peice.

Attachments

• correct L30i mounting1.jpg
    correct L30i mounting1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 547
please answer me to some questions.

1. can u move the impeller-magnet set freely over the metal bar?? (so it can spin AROUND the bar and not WITH the bar) I hope u know what I mean.

2. Is the white plastic thing glued to the magnet in ur pump? (see in my pic what I mean by "white plastic thing" ;))

Thx

1 yes they are not joined and the magnet rotates while the bar stays in place

the impellor blades on mine are not glued but they are a tight fit so that there is not much movement without force . i could glue it but havent needed to

yeah the impeller blades are not glued, i mean the rest of the white plastic, where u put the impeller.

thx so much for ur help ;)

dinster said:
thanks for ur advice.. the problem is Mag 3 is not available here in Malaysia..

the only choice i have now is L30, both Eheim 1250 and 1048..

yeah.. i can buy the Mag 3 here.. but the input voltage is different.. 120V..

iirc malaysia is 50hz AC? :( - so a mag 3 won't give particularly good performance (as well as needing a converter)

dinster?

thorilan said:
ok for mavrick . you didnt take a pic of the most important parts together.

btw you shouldnt ever have to take the impellor blades off the axle

.the key to doing the mounting correctly is to make sure that the impellor and axle are mounted onto the black intake plastic correctly

ill post a pic in a few min

you want the the impellor very firmly seated into it with the impellor blades perfectly level and equal distantce on all sides from the flat surface of the intake peice.

Because it's a big magnet dosen't it just pull it out of the cover when you insert it back into the pump? That's the probs that i had with mine. i'm thinking i shouln't have sealed the heck out of it though..

Back