• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How strong is too strong of a pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Chocobo said:
Anyone?

Because i was thinking of a getting a 950 Gallon pump

Whats the head rating? How much heat will this pump create? How many watts? Those are the questions you need to ask. To much pressure will spring links or burst your radiator. To much heat created by the pump just to pump 950 gh isn't good either.

It's too much when they rate with HP instead of watts generally. Or when it uses more power than your cpu.

I donno about 950, but be sure your hoses are clamped on tight, I had 600gph and during leak testing the hose between the pump and radiator (out from the pump) was pushing off the radiator barb within 15minutes. that was without any clamp, quick worm clamp solved that problem.

Would me Getting the Hydor L40 740GPH be to strong for this water cooling Set up

Danger Den RBX for P4
Danger Den's Double HeaterCore w/ Shroud
Bay Res
1/2" ID 3/4" OD ClearFlex Tubing
11/16" - 1 1/4" Hose Clamps - http://www.plumbingworld.com/clamps.html
5/8 to 1/2 Adapter for Hydor L40
1/2 fittings "Y"
AS5
Zerex super Coolant
2 x 120mm Sunon Fans 100+ CFM for HC

i think thats all... for a very good water cooling setup

Im running that 600gph pump through a similair setting, except single 120mmradiator and rbx/gpu/and NB block.

I got 33degrees idle, Id call that pretty good....

thats impossible. and if you did argue, it travels through faster so it doesnt have a chance to cool AS MUCH; then you counter that since its shooting through the heater block so fast it doesnt heat as much.

then 1 must wonder so if you go really slow, the radiator will just cool the water more, as the water grows hotter in the block. I donno, I could see some reasons why more is better, use a larger radiator with the more pressure, so the radiator cools it faster than the block heats it cause it has more surface area.

a super large pump isnt worth it if it adds too much heat to the water though, cause eventually its gonna suffer from diminishing returns.

think of it this way...this is with a DOUBLE heater core with 2 x 120mm 100+CFM fans...the water wont stay in the WB that long so next time it get to the RAD it has a chance to cool the water even more and so on because the water is goin fast...i dont want the average pump beginners use i want something that will cool to the max...

dude if you want a great pump and aren't afraid to drop some dime go for highest end enheim, gen-x, iwaki. there's a good iwaki for sale in the classifieds, at least last time I checked. I have one in the mail and am going to make very good use of the 36 feet of head. With flow restriction it should bring the psi down to an acceptable level so my heatercores don't pop. I'm thinking 2-3 blocks, 2 large heatercores :)

Back