• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a new kind of cooling solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theboss85

rather than fixing many radiators and fans in a liquid based PC cooling system, i came up with an idea of a cooling tower..and drew a basic design of it..this is how it work

the pump sucks the water from the reservior and delivers it to the shower/sprinkler which causes the water to drip across the tower columb.

The fan on the top causes an airlow in the columb.The flow of air is opposite to the direction of water dripping.

the water droplets travelling from the top of coloumb to bottom will meet the air travelling in opposite direction of droplet flow. Droplets will have a big surface area which will cause the water droplets to quickly lose their heat to air, More ever forced airflow will casue rapid evaporation of water from droplets causing cooling hence the droplets temprature will me much cooler.

this cool water droplets will fall on the radiator absorbing the heat from the radiator quickly and making their way to the resevior again.

the radiator is connected in a closed loop with is own pump and resevior which is circulating coolant to keep processor cool. the "hot in" is for hot coolant in and "cold out" is for coolant out after cooling.

they are actually two systems in one...one system circulates coolant in a loop to keep the CPU cool while other system circulates odinary water to reduce the coolant temps. the liquid in both systems do not mix together at any point.

rather than passing water over the radiator, this cold water can be trapped and directly circulated into the CPU cooling system and then returned to resevior hence eliminating the need of second pump. This is not shown in the diagram though.

moisture trap is used to reduced excess water loss from the system due to evaporation. It is generally made of some kind of fiber or aluminum fins places closed together and bent at certain degree (similar pattern seen in airconditioner condenser)

air filter at air inlet grille will trap dust particles which would other wise contaminate the water and may cause pump to malfuntion. a water filter can be incorpoated at the pump inlet to further remove any contamination in water to enter the pump.

the housing might be tricky to build.. probably would be 120 wide x 1500MM high and can be built using 1/4 inch thick plexi glass..a clean built system with good led lighting would also serve a purpose of decoration in the room ;-)

i borrowed this idea from commerical airconditioning and i belive a system like this would have a lot of potential provided correct componets are used.. i would start working on it to keep half dozen 1U rack dual processor servers cool.. they give out good heat but their small heat sink and noisy fans r inadequate to keep them cool without heavy airconditiong driving electricity cost high :(

attached zip file with this message contains the diagrams of this idea.. due to file size i couldnt attach it with message as image so i zipped it up :bang head

Attachments

• new cooling.zip
    15.5 KB · Views: 157
its obviously easier than setting up numerous radiators and their fan.. ;-)
i would still give it a try seeing the capabilities these kind of systems show in airconditioning..

they lower the refrigant temp by atleast 40C or more

Yea no kidding, i want to design my new cooling box on my pc but i could never do that art....wow

I think bongs are great if you live in a area with low humidity. Lots of maintenance though. But his idea of condensing the evaporating water is something I havn't seen before.
If I did one of these I would just do the bong in one loop. I can see no reason to have the second loop because it just adds a heat exchange which decreases efficiency.

If I did one of these I would just do the bong in one loop. I can see no reason to have the second loop because it just adds a heat exchange which decreases efficiency.
Yeah, exactly. Bongs aren't always the best, and sometimes more hassle than they're worth, but they're not a bad option for some. Artwork isn't bad either.

a good moisture trap would not let water evaporate quite fast.. also the air velocity isnt that high.. to cause the water evaporate at once

even in commerical chillers the water loss is abt 0.55gallon/hour and these airconditioners r big.. when i say big i mean they r cooling an entire mall

i used visio 2003 for the drawing.. it took me around 40 min to do it

hm. We know that a bong works efficiently. In adding the radiator to a good performing evaporative cooling design you are adding another layer of thermal resistance. I think that the evaporative cooler would work a whole lot better if you take the rad out of the loop and use water from the resevoir to circulate through the block. So, my estimation is that the performance would be somewhere in between the bong cooler itself, and cooling by the rad alone. As a matter of fact i am almost positive that someone in these forums brought this up before, maybe even tried it. It would have been a couple years ago when i was running my own evaporative cooling setup.

J.

The plus of using a radiator in the system is that the cooling loop is closed. You can put any additive you want in the cooling loop and not have to worry about inhaling it as the water evaporates from the bong. You can use any old tap water in the bong as well, because you don't have to worry about minerals, etc from the tap water deteriorating your block.

Ken

This has been dicussed in the "types of cooling" sticky

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=287576

and also here:
http://www.overclockers.com/articles389/index.asp

I am not sure , but I'm pretty certain the last thing you would want to do would be to condense the evaproated water. The whole point of the thing is to cool by evaporating water, which sucks up lots of energy. If you were to condense the water back, what have you done? Nothing. You have just evaproated water, and then condensed it back to the state it was just at. Of course there would be heat lost to the air flowing through the system, and you won't be able to condense all of the moisture back out of the air, so you would get some gains, but they would be much better if you didn't try to condense the water back.

It takes A LOT more energy to condense the vapor back into water. If your moisture trap is to restrictive it will severly limit evaporation because humidity will get to high in the tower. Just my $.02

mositure traps dont work on the principle of condensation..they make the air pass at diferent angle so the water hits the walls and drips back..

Back