• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old fan, shroud question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JTanczos

Im reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally sorry if this was posted before but again I searched here and couldnt find anything. Im sure it was but I cant find it. :bang head

Im curious if old gutted fans could be used for a shroud? Its already got mounting holes and its thick enough. If so anyone know where I could get 4 insanely cheap 120mm fans to gut?? Reason I ask is im gonna be spending alot on this first system and I cant afford to spend $50 on a custom shroud and dont have the skills yet to make one myself (although im learning with the help of this forum :D).

Thanks

JT

If you're talking about using them for watercooling on a radiator, you're better off scavenging some cardboard and tape to make a ghetto version until you can afford some other, more permanent type.
There's also the tupperware box type that takes minimum skillz to pull off--simply a matter of shopping around for a plastic box that fits your particular radiator well enough, and cutting fan holes.

The empty fan shroud works best for heatsink applications...

Back