• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pelt temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KOXC2003

I've been looking around for a pretty good cooling solution, just something more then just air cooling, but I'm on a low budget so I've been looking at this Pelt that only needs air cooling. I plan on putting a 80 MM Tornado/ Delta running at full speed on it. What kind of temps do you guys think I could get?

Hopefully its back in stock soon but you can still view the product here:

http://xoxide.com/swmcx40thhe.html

Also, would I need a new power supply? I have a 420 Watt PS, sorry can't remember off hand the other numbers, not home to look either.

Features:
-226 Watts Thermoelectric module
-Optimal cooling capacity: will dissipate 70 Watts continuous thermal load to ambient temperature with 80CFM fan.
If you want to use it for the P4 2.8 in your sig. it wouldn't be any good as your CPU puts out ~85W (Not overclocked!!!).

And yes you'd need a seperate/dedicated PSU.

Thanks for the response, does anyone know of a pelt that works with air cooling that would work with a 2.8C. Probably at 1.675 Vcore.

It's not the peltiers that can't handle a P4, but it's the HSF's that can't get rid of the heat, to cool your CPU a few degrees (Celcius) below ambient you'll have to get rid of +200W of heat (85W for the CPU + at least 120W for the TEC).

But as you'd like to run the CPU @ 1.675V it'll put out ~103W, meaning that you'll need to get rid of +220W, probably more, as a general rule is to use a TEC that's twice the wattage your CPU puts out...200+100=300W!!! no way you can get rid of that using a standard HSF.

You could built something yourself, but you'll run into several problems and you'd have to be kinda nuts to even try it (like me :santa: ).

Yup, while I disagree with most people saying it can't be done (I'm gonna show them that it CAN be done), I do have to agree that it's not an easy task, and it sure isn't something anyone should try w/o some experience with TEC's.

Save yourself lots of crap and just get some WC stuff, a WC system can be pretty cheap, and it sure can be a lot less noisy!!

i think as long as your ambient temps are ok, you should be fine with a tornado on that thing.
as far as dedicated PSU's go, you can get the PSU that i have which is a 550watt FSP which is rated for 36 amps on 12v+ line, and that should power it.

however, watercooling ofcource would give much much better results.

Nico3k said:
i think as long as your ambient temps are ok, you should be fine with a tornado on that thing.
as far as dedicated PSU's go, you can get the PSU that i have which is a 550watt FSP which is rated for 36 amps on 12v+ line, and that should power it.

however, watercooling ofcource would give much much better results.
I somewhat agree, but would you like to listen to a tornado running at full speed while playing a game? hell, try to listen to some music.

I have 1 80mm Delta 80CFM running @ 7V, and 2 (although slightly different) 60mm Delta 34CFM @ 7V fans running, and they're still driving me nuts.

The P4 project I'm working on will have 2 of those 80CFM Delta fans running at full speed, imagine the noise :rolleyes:

yeah i know what you mean... you would probably go insane after a few hours of listening to that noise :)

my friend has 6 tornados running at full speed on his benching rig, and it also has a 120mm Delta fan which is pushing 190CFM ...... so INSANE LOUD. can't stand running it for longer than an hour ;)

Back