• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual pumps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueMan

So I came into the possession of a Mag3 the other day, which is exciting, and I was wondering: would it be worthwhile to get another pump (since I was expecting to shell out the money anyway)?

I'm thinking - 2 pumps is a nice safety mechanism, since if one fails you have a backup. But I'm not sure if the added heat would be worth the additional flow.

Also - if it IS worth it - should they be run one right after the other? Or in a different setup? I'm going to be cooling the CPU and GPU, with a restrictive CPU block (pry the whitewater or TDX with #5 nozzels, or the MCP6002). Not sure about the GPU block yet.

Advice?

well, first ill give ya the answer everyone will: try it. (i did)

then ill say, (IMO) it is worth it. (this is VERY dependant on what WB you are using...looking @ graphs of diff WBs, some do better with higher flows and some dont. the WW and RBX (TDX "should" be about the same as the RBX) seem to get better with higher flow...

now, after saying that, ill have to say....try it ;) and see if it works for you.

GOOD LUCK

also, consider this:

(also consider i know almost nothing about watercooling, i'm taking this as i can see how the flow reflects to that of electricity)

if you run one after another, you should get higher pressure, or "head" as i beleive its called.

if you split the line and run them seperately, then rejoin the line, you get twice the flow...or the flow of each added together.

once again, i dont really know what i'm talking about, so maybe not...but you should. and then theres always the idea that you never know how its going to effect anything....i know i dont :p

You might want to place the pumps in parallel as opposed to in series. Maybe have both feeding a rad through a y-fitting or something. Or, you might want to place the pumps at different points in the loops. For example:

Pump > Rad > CPU block > Pump > Any other blocks > Back to first pump

Something like that. Just an idea... :)

Last edited:
I'm doing the same type of thing and would really appreciate any opinons on the 2 pump setup. I think I decided on going on a dual loop but not completely set on it.

thanks,
froz

well, doubling the flow in a waterblock after that point, or trying to double it is for the most part pointless. Have you ever looked at those performance graphs? If you look at them, I could guess you woudl be pushing 2gpm through a ww with a single one,(or just use it for an example). If you pushed 4gpm through that same block, (look at the graph) you would gain about .25c at most. After a certain point, the curve flattens out and it takes a huge increase to increase performance.

Jon

Attachments

• ph-mcw5k-7.gif
    ph-mcw5k-7.gif
    17.5 KB · Views: 71
how about this instead of having to pumps and 1 RAD have the double best of both worlds....since 1 pump is enough to pump through 1 double heatercore and it would really be stressful if 1 pump had to pump thru 2 RAD that are double heatercore Have to Pumps for 2 Heatercores...mayb in this circulation

1st Pump > 1st RAD > CPUWB > 2nd Pump > 2nd RAd > GPU > Res > 1st Pump

then and optimal cooling circualtion can be this way

1st Pump > 1st RAD > 2nd Pump > 2nd RAD > CPUWB > GPU > Res > 1st Pump

this is if you have the room or if you are willing to let the RAD be External...just my thoughts

Back