• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More then 1 Fan on a Radiator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Osirus

I want to know if I am going to gain any temp drop by putting a fan on bothsides of the Radiator, The radiator is currently mounted on the outside of the case, as seen in this picture.

Is this kinda pointless as it will not move the air around like I want?

rad.jpg

You'll get better performance by using a fan and a shroud than you will with a fan on each side of the radiator. The shroud helps eliminate the dead spot of stagnant air that forms in front of the hub of the fan. Two fans will put a fraction more air through the radiator, but won't do anything about the dead spot.

You mean one on each side right? If you have the fan it's probably worth it; othewise I probably wouldn't do it, I don't think it will lower your temps much at all.

Ah, the infamous AquariusII....I'm not laughing cause I am using a modded version myself.

My best results with that radiator came from using a spacer between the fan and the shroud/fan mount.
I just used a gutted 80mm fan housing.
I also tried two fans...push/pull ( both with spacers) and didn't see enough reduction in temp to justify the complexity and extra noise.

Has your pump started making noise yet?
It will.

it has started, but then it stops, its not on for very long. I assume its cause it is going dead.

I have the fan mounted on the inside of the case, and the rad on the outside. should I cut away the extra aluminim on the case? between the 2.

Last edited:
Osirus said:
it has started, but then it stops, its not on for very long. I assume its cause it is going dead.

I have the fan mounted on the inside of the case, and the rad on the outside. should I cut away the extra aluminim on the case? between the 2.

Actually no, it's probably not dying on you.
These pumps seem to develop a buzzing noise after a while ( this is ignoring the rattling that the two indicator balls make), but mine has continued to pump just fine.

Yes, I would definitely cut out the grillwork between the fan and the radiator and at the same time install the spacer.

How are your temps?
I have found that the biggest performance bottleneck with the kit is the waterblock.
I replaced the stocker with a Zalman block and enjoyed a significant drop in temps.

Clocker2, Currently my temps are 40c according to MBM5, Plus its a 3.0E @ 3.54
Where can I pick up that block you are using?

I bought the waterblock from MicroCenter ($50).
Sorry, I have no pics of the old water setup (damn Uploadit.com!) and haven't taken any of the new setup yet ( and may not cause I'm almost ready to change cases again).
This pic shows the general idea though.
The clear spacer is just an old 80mm LED fan that I cut the center section out of ...
CPU_Duct.jpg

Cutting out that aluminum grill of your case should help. I have replaced that lil 80mm can with 2 120mm Panaflow M1A's with a 120->80 adaptor and have nice temps now.

Also changed my tubing from 1/4 to 3/8 :D

Here's a pic of my fan setup, thats on the outside of the case, on the inside its just the reverse, another adaptor and 120mm fan.

Attachments

• P4180015.JPG
    P4180015.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Back