• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turning pump on/off impact on life?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Usually negativley, running a pump 24/7 is better than turing it on and off and on and off.

I still have my on a relay though :p

Hm, what would you say if it is done every day on a relay? I don't see it being all THAT bad... I only intend to keep the pump for a couple of years or so until I upgrade... (L30)

I think its the the constand turning off/on of my Hydor L30 is what caused it to start to rattle. The impeller began to loosen a little from the shaft and would wobble causing the rattle. To fix it was easy I just JB weld the impeller to the shaft, but I am pretty sure the constand off/on is what caused the problem in the first place.

My thoughts...

Most AC magdrive pumps can rotate in either direction to pump.
When the relay first hits, the impellers position and the line frequency at that instant determines which way it's gonna go.
Mechanical relays often have a "bounce" to them, a microsecond of on off on, causing a pretty hard magnetic field collapse.
It would seem to me that this would rock pretty hard on the impeller shaft.

Solid state relays, like what those PCI cards use wouldn't do this though.

I don't think it'd cause immediate pump failure, but over time...I used a relay for a year or so, then switched to running 24/7. My Danner model 2 still lives. Right now I'm using a relay on a MaxiJet that I don't plan on using too long, and I haven't decided if the new setup that's coming will use 24/7 or a solid-state relay.

There, just about 2 cents worth of info. :D

*linky* http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/ph_s_guide_to_wiring_pumps_-_p1.php

Last edited:
I have fishtanks since more than 20 years.
Twice a day I switch off the pumps for about 10-15 minutes to feed the fish and avoid the food to precipitate due to water movement.
Never had any problem with quality pumps (Eheim).
My three Sicce pumps rattled from the beginning anyway so I don't use them anymore.

The Eheim 1250 in my WC'ed PC-70 is also powered through a relay.

CD :)

Back