• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is the mcp600 enough for a dual cpu setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Busty St. Clair

i know the has a lot of power but i wanted to know if it's enough for 2 cpu waterblocks. i plan on having a y splitter so both blocks get cool water but i want to know if there will be enough flow. i plan on using tc-4 rev 2 and maybe a dtek pro heatercore

It should be enough for you. My MCP600 is pumping through 3 waterblocks and a dual 120mm radiator and doing just fine. As for the y-splitter, I think most people here will advise against that. The water temperature only goes up a tiny little bit through the loop, but splitting tube will cut your flow in half. Think of it this way: you can cool the first CPU with water at 22c and the second CPU with 22.5c water, or you can cool them both with 22c water, but at half the flowrate. I thought about going parallel at first as well, but was quickly convinced otherwise.

Busty St. Clair said:
i know the has a lot of power but i wanted to know if it's enough for 2 cpu waterblocks. i plan on having a y splitter so both blocks get cool water but i want to know if there will be enough flow. i plan on using tc-4 rev 2 and maybe a dtek pro heatercore

I dont know the pressure drop of those blocks but I wouldnt imagine they'd be too bad. I have a MCP600 on two MCW5002s right now, these blocks are fairly low pressure drop though.

And as Galt already said putting them in parrallel is bad, very hard to setup and little to no gain. The water temp increase between the blocks will be less than 1c and having more flow across each block tends to perform better.

do you think i will need a double heatercore or do you think the dtek pro heater core is enough. i will only be cooling 2 cpus and nothing else so i would imagine it would be enough. at most i might add a gpu block but not anytime soon.

Busty St. Clair said:
do you think i will need a double heatercore or do you think the dtek pro heater core is enough. i will only be cooling 2 cpus and nothing else so i would imagine it would be enough. at most i might add a gpu block but not anytime soon.

I have a pretty kicka__ heatercore but at the same time it sucks. Its very dense so it has much more surface area then any heatercore of the same dimensions but the bad thing is I need 4 120s to get any air through it. I have the fans at full speed right now so I get good temps (neither proc goes over 40c and both are at 3.4ghz @ 1.60vcore).

A single pass 120mm x 2 heatercore would easily cool any two procs. The 2-342 is a favorite. Id get that one of I was you. It will probably give better temps than mine and at lower air flow.

jamesavery22 said:
I dont know the pressure drop of those blocks but I wouldnt imagine they'd be too bad. I have a MCP600 on two MCW5002s right now, these blocks are fairly low pressure drop though.

And as Galt already said putting them in parrallel is bad, very hard to setup and little to no gain. The water temp increase between the blocks will be less than 1c and having more flow across each block tends to perform better.

TC-4 is quite a restrictive block... about the same as an RBX...

Busty St. Clair said:
so is the pump stong enough to pump through both blocks with decent flow?

i wouldn't advise it in series - have you bought them already?

2 spir@ls in series is less restrictive than a single TC-4 (if you want to go the cheap dtek route)..... or 2 maze4's in series is about the same as 1 spiral...

no i didn't get them yet i was just viewing my options. i don't even think i will go dual athlon xp's since opterons are looking damn tempting but it depends on my finances

I don't see why you couldn't go with a wye that has 1/2 inch in and two 3/8 inch out. That's about the same cross-sectional area on each end, so it should maintain the same pressure, right?

See my sig..
2 Sprial blocks Modded (D-TEK)
Mcp600
8 feet of 1/2ID tubing
11.5 x 6.5 rad with 2x120mm fans

Temps are quite low and I am putting about 230 watts of heat into the loop at full load. And my resivour is like a tornado with the flow put out by the MCP600.

Back