• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm sure someone has tried this before...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wurm

Registered
I have a 120mm Radiator with a 105cfm fan on it. it works fine but the fan is around 40db I was thinking of using two silent fans one pushing one pulling to reduce my noise but keep my temps about the same...

Will it work or am I smoking crack?

definitely been tried. read stickies. Make a shroud to avoid the dead spot.

Looked through the stickies didn't find it the first time, found it the second. :)

One quick question why is pulling better than pushing? Because of the dead spot?

I dont have much room for a shroud so if thats the case I will turn my fan around.

neither is better, necessarilly. both create dead spots if placed directly on the HC, because of the hub in the fan where the blades are connected. A shroud is needed on both sides (push AND pull) or you will have a spot on your HC that is warmer than the rest, thus reducing overall cooling.

Pulling is better because the air flows around the fins. Think of it this way, if water was running through the fins, 'pulling' the water through would be easier. Why? think of pushing the water through, and how much back spray you'd get. Its a similar principle - at least in my mind :)

Well how big of a shroud does it have to be? I can manage about 2cm but thats it.

The bigger the better really, people are saying 5cm around here, but id say 2.5 would be alright. Sure beats nothing, anyway.

why not just make case fans intake and use rad as exaust? no dead spot there :)

Wurm said:
I have a 120mm Radiator with a 105cfm fan on it. it works fine but the fan is around 40db I was thinking of using two silent fans one pushing one pulling to reduce my noise but keep my temps about the same...

Will it work or am I smoking crack?

It's probably a 12V fan, you could also probably rewire it at 7V. For example, rewiring a Delta fan will bring it from around 130cfm to 80cfm, and noise is down from 46db to 33db. Would save you having to buy an extra fan.

Back