• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pushing water through the heater core instead of pulling it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tovas

most if not all of the water cooling systems i have seen follow the same basic path IE:

pump > water block > resovoir > heater core > pump etc.

at least they look like they travel in that order

my basic question is this. I really like the idea of a submersible pump inside the resovoir like the one found here.

http://www.alphacool.de/upload/images/15115D.jpg

seems like it would damping any noise givin off by the pump as well as put both of these in a nice convenient place.

so back to the question. would there be any negitive effect in changing this order? i know the pump inside the water will heat the water up slightly so how bout taking a route like this?

Resovoir > pump > heater core > water block > resovoir etc.

this config would seem to cool the water after it has been heated by the pump but are there any ill effects that would be caused to the pump and system by operating in this manor IE high pressure drops?

alot of people go pump-hc-cpu-(another block if one has it)-res-pump.

The HC right after the pump allows heat to dissipate out and give the coolest water possible into the CPU water block.

i think a lot of the pumps we use are designed to be used submerged. the mag 3 and eheims are im pretty sure

running it submerged should give you better head with whatever pump you choose since the inlet wont be restricted

Be aware though that the pump will heat the water in the res and raise your overall temps a bit. There isn' much actual test data on this though so perhaps you could try and let us know ;) IMO though that's a small res to submerg a pump in.

there is no such thing as "pushing" or "pulling" water through a radiator. One side is inlet, one side is outlet. Any order you put your components in it's the same thing. Most people like the waterblocks right after the radiator because they don't want that "added heat" before the cpu, trying to achieve the coldest water in the loop cooling their cpu. This is assuming that the water heats up from the pump and cools down at the radiator. In reality the water temp goes up as a whole, not in stages. Heat In - Heat Out = Water Temp.

On being submersible though... Pros: Will dampen pump vibrations/noise. Cons: all the heat that the pump usually dissipates into the air will be put into your water. Depending on the pump that can be 10-100 watts of heat. Personally I like my pumps free air with good airflow.

Flow rate in a closed loop system is uniform throughout a system. It's like an electrical circuit. You have the pump, which is like a battery, supplying a pressure head, which is like voltage. The various radiators, blocks, and tubes that make up the rest of the system are analogous to the resistors and wires that make up an electrical circuit. And like the current in an electrical circuit, the flow rate through a component does not change depending on what order the components are placed in, nor does it vary throughout the circuit. Hence, you can place your components in whatever order you like, you will still get the same flow rate (assuming you don't do things like parallel loops or bypasses).

However, placing your waterblock immediately after your radiator will ensure that the water that reaches your CPU is as cold as it can possibly be in your loop. The temperature of the fluid in the loop is definitely not constant. This doesn't mean that you're doomed if your radiator is after your cpu block, though. Given the relatively high flowrate and short heating and cooling cycles that the water in your loop goes through, I don't think the temperature difference across the radiator is more than a few degrees Celsius. It'd be interesting if anyone out there has done some experiments along these lines, either from a die temperature or a water temperature standpoint.

hottest water and coolest water is ussually less than 2 degrees apart. so you then figure that difference would be measured in front of and behind the radiator as thats where the change occurs.

you want your block at the 2degree colder point, no the 2degree warmer point.

ares350 said:
hottest water and coolest water is ussually less than 2 degrees apart. so you then figure that difference would be measured in front of and behind the radiator as thats where the change occurs.

you want your block at the 2degree colder point, no the 2degree warmer point.
Actually, in a loop with decent flow, the temp gradients between rad in- and output are less than a couple of tenths of degrees (in mine it is <0.1°C, as my digital thermometer (abolute resolution=0.1°C) cannot measure a difference), so position of the components in the loop generally doesn't matter.

CD :)

Back