• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY kit what do you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hemidude

From all the advice from these forums this is what I came up with:

RBX 1/2 inch
Maze 4 gpu
Maze 4 chipset
Hydor L30
Black Ice Micro II (dual 80mm)

The only thing I am not sure of is a res or a Tee and which one. So, is this a good overclocking system? My case has two 800mm fans in the back and in the front the flow is kind of blocked. Thanks for the advice.

I don't understand how people say they've read the threads and then come up with these lists. No offense.

Reading the threads will point out 2 key things:
1. DON'T get a black ice radiator. get a heater core and mod it or get a JR-120 from DTek.
2. DON'T WC your northbridge. Some people do it in extreme overclocking scenerios (greater than 1.8v, for example), but other than that it is not necessary and detracts from your overall cooling performance (as well as your wallet)

BlueMan said:
I don't understand how people say they've read the threads and then come up with these lists. No offense.

Reading the threads will point out 2 key things:
1. DON'T get a black ice radiator. get a heater core and mod it or get a JR-120 from DTek.
2. DON'T WC your northbridge. Some people do it in extreme overclocking scenerios (greater than 1.8v, for example), but other than that it is not necessary and detracts from your overall cooling performance (as well as your wallet)

None taken. But I am trying to learn as much as fast as I can. Having read my thread you must know I dont have too much room in my case. That is why I want to use two 80mm rads. Maybe two swiftech's. The 120mm will not get as much flow in the front as I would like. Can you post a pic of your rig so I can see how it is set up? Thanks for the advice.

As for the rad I would agree that the micro even in dbl form isnt that great. You should be able to find a space big enough for the JR-120 or the slightly larger DD heatercore. And I would go with the D4 pump because of the 12v molex connector and the much better pressure from it. As far as the NB chip I got one and would do it again also, I run my system 24/7 @ 295fsb and feel better knowing that I have good cooling on the chip.

ic72.jpg

How much flow do I need if I mount the rad in the front? Also it draws air in correct? Doesnt that raise case temps? Also are the rest of the components O.K.? Thanks.

On my setup I have:

RBX cpu block
Maze4 GPU block
Z-Chipset block
Dbl 3 1/2" res
JR-120 Rad
BIX rad
2-120x38 fans with shrouds
1 120x38 fan in top blowhole
1 80mm fan in frtom of HDs
1 80mm for exhaust
My case temps run about 8f above ambient.
Water temp about 10f above ambient. (both checked with instant read thermometer)
I just cut a hole for the fan in front of my gase and put filter material infront of it to keep dust out of my rad.

And here is a lil better pic of the rads and fans.

1c73.jpg

ic74.jpg

Basically, you want your radiator to be on your intake. That way it's exposed to the coolest air possible and gives you the most efficient cooling. Your case temps will be higher, sure, but that doesn't really matter as much once you make the switch to watercooling, especially if you have a GPU block. If you're worried about poor flow in front, you could always just flip your rear exhaust fans around and mount your rads in back (make sure to flip your front fans, too - having all your fans pointed inward just doesn't work very well). If you want to equalize your intake and exhaust, go ahead and punch a blowhole in the top of your case. I actually only have two fans, one on my radiator out back, and the other pulling exhaust duty at my blowhole. Works great.

So i could use a 120mm rad in the front even with limited airflow? And I have an 80mm on top, an 80mm on the side and two in the back. I am worried that I wont pull enough cool air in the front. That is why I was thinking of a dual 80mm rad in the back. I really appreciate the help guys.

I'd put your radiators on the back, with the fans flipped around to intake, then make your front fan and blowhole the exhausts. That gets you nice cool ambient air for your radiators, and more or less balances the intake and exhaust CFM.

O.K. last question should I go with the Swiftech blocks or all dangerden stuff?

You can't go wrong with either company. But the mcw6000 has a great price tag and performs like a champ.

Back