• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External Box Setup Ideas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueMan

So I'm slowing piecing together my setup (want to make sure I get it right and am happy with the outcome).

I'm going to do an external box, and put my computer on top of it, then bolt the two together.

I plan on running it similar to Cathar's. I will mount the heatercore in the front, facing inwards, then have the pump in the middle, and a blower (http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2004060111350047&item=16-1138&catname=water) blowing OUT to create a suction environment. I also plan on cutting out one of my hard drive cages and mounting it in the box, which will provide nice cooling on the harddrives, not hinder HC cooling, and un-clutter my case some. I also plan on cutting a window in the box, and putting two layers of plexiglass (one on either side of the aluminum wall, with air between them for sound dampening). And of course lights and what not.

The blower is big - 14" wide, so the box will probably be 15" wide, as deep as my computer, and the height depends on the HC I choose. I know the modding on the 77' bonneville is easy, but that stands 9.5" tall, which would add alot of height to my tower, so I can either turn that on it's side, or get a shorter core, like the Chevette, or the 82' Camaro/Firebird.

One thing I haven't figured out is how to build the box. I want to do it out of aluminum, but I can't find a place on the web to order custom sized boxes. I may find a local metal shop and see if someone can help me there.

I'm also going to experiment with filtering the HC to avoid dust build up (which can decrease cooling). It may restrict airflow too much and raise temps - we'll see. I'll certainly report back.

Any suggestions on the box design?

Back