• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there anything higher than a 226w pelt? Where i get em?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sun_tzu617

Ive been hearing of pelt os 274 and above, just dotn know where to look, anyone got a site where i can buy them in the U.S.? + what would be a really good vga pelt, and what do i insulate?

Well there are plenty of companies that make bigger peltiers but the problem is the are larger than what works for CPU cooling. You wou ld have to stack two peltiers to get more wattage.

im just looking for cooler, not more wattage, unless u mean wattage as in cooling (forgive my stupidity), i want braggin rights thats wall, and i need to get a nice powerful pelt to cool my stuff and be the top of the 3dmark03 list for my next machine, fx-53 and a x800xt... *crosses fingers* heres to luck! :beer:

still on this pelt craze ah? well a 80 watt pelt is usually more than enough for a videocard, but if you want to go big, a 110 or a little more would work nicely. You could strap on a 226 and watch the whole card freeze over :attn: , but this will probably result in a dead card.

I haven't seen any pelts much bigger than 230 for a CPU. Stacking them is possable, but usually a pretty bad idea. Your pelt on the CPU has to be pretty high powered, like a 226 in your case. If you wanted to stack a pelt on top of that, it would need to be about 400 watts. You can put 2 of them side by side on a fairly thick copper cold plate, say 2 226 watt pelts. I am not sure how well this would preform, but my guess is not much better than just one 226, and it would suck up crazy amounts of power.

I still say that if you really want to get this extreme kind of cooling, get a phase change unit. Pelts are more for people who like to tinker and experiment.

matttheniceguy said:
still on this pelt craze ah?
AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHAHAHH !!!!!! :bang head :bang head IM IN THE CRAZE!!!! IT HAS ME IN ITS VICE OF DEATH AND TORMENT!!!! I MUST GET THE BEST SCORES<, I MUST!!!!! :bang head :drool: :drool: MUST SHOW OFF SYSTEM DO TO LACK OF.....NOTHING!! I DONT LACK ANYTHING I SWEAR!!

What you guys think, slap on the recommended pelts on my x800 xt, and crank up teh juice, make 17k on 3dmark03 and mock all my friends who have " a supierior system" with their 9800 xt's.....Im gonan rock this system hard, or will die trying!! :attn:

Last edited:
matttheniceguy said:
I still say that if you really want to get this extreme kind of cooling, get a phase change unit. Pelts are more for people who like to tinker and experiment.

Thats me, and i still ahte phase change, i want a nice looking, easy to carry machine....And spending a grand or so on 1 component is down right wacky :eek: :bang head ..... Maybe if i had just a lil more money myself, some time, and strength to use one, i might, but by then they will have some kind of special new cooling out, like "plasma compressing ion seperators"...I can always get 2 pelts for my proc later, when i can afford the third power suppliy...Thats right, 3 if i got that many pelts at 226..... i dont think tehy ahve pelt power supplies that high u dont have to kill someone over..

Last edited:
I wish i was sun_tzu, so shipping would be local... oh wells...Asian people always have the better tech for some reason (they manufacture it maybe) just look at japan, fx-53 is old news there, they prolly got some 96 bit computing....They have robots and crap, and here i am still lifting my fingers!! I WANT A PELT COOLED ROBOT!!

lol.... this thread is going to he11 at an alarming rate. Plasma cooling? pelt cooled robots? 96 bit computing? what are we talking about?

Agreed that Japans electronics are way ahead of ours. My girlfriend got a digital camera there 2 years ago, and an equivelent model was just released here a couple months ago, minus a lot of the cool yet useless features.

squeakygeek, you happen to know the name of that place or have a link?

Those 274 watters are on ebay, but they are far more effecient than the 226 watters we have all seen. Look at this chart:

274W Full Specs:

16.8V 274.3W 26.4A
15V: 271W 23A
12V: 252W 18A

226W Full Specs:

15.2V 226W 25A
15V 223W 24.7A
12V 178W 19.7A

Running at 12v, they consume less amps but can still cool far better than the 226 @ 15 volts. This would be better for your electric bill.

matttheniceguy said:
still on this pelt craze ah? well a 80 watt pelt is usually more than enough for a videocard, but if you want to go big, a 110 or a little more would work nicely. You could strap on a 226 and watch the whole card freeze over :attn: , but this will probably result in a dead card.

I had a 172w pelt (24v@18v) running on my 9800pro but even though it got me to the top of the orb for 9800pro's I could only cool my GPU down to 15C under load. This was with 8C water with ambient temps just under 20C [email protected]. 172w was the limit for 40mm pelts, anything above that was 50mm which you will find difficult to attach to a graphics card.

I think you will find it difficult to achieve sub zero temps under load using peltiers if that is your goal.

Also, however great it is for benching it's still a pain for 24/7 use as I found out with a pump failure resulting in a burst pipe neary wiping out my entire system.

good luck anyhow if you try it,

bt

Bobtod said:
I had a 172w pelt (24v@18v) running on my 9800pro but even though it got me to the top of the orb for 9800pro's I could only cool my GPU down to 15C under load. This was with 8C water with ambient temps just under 20C [email protected].

2.15V :eek: thats some Volt mod!! (more than i run thru my CPU)...whats the stock V on a 9800pro?

Joe Camel said:
2.15V :eek: thats some Volt mod!! (more than i run thru my CPU)...whats the stock V on a 9800pro?

I think around 1.7v, I normally run 1.9v for 24/7 use. 2.15v was needed to secure No.1 spot ;)

bt

heh if you go with such a big pelt, you will be paying more than what a phase change system costs (electric bill) within 2-3 months ;)

man lol yeah if u plain on using this 24/7 u might as well get phase change but Nvit(can never think of how to spell it....) just went under so now asteck(sp lol?) is the only phase change co. so prices r SKYROCKITING to the heavens but o well.....

Back