• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decided on BlueLine HD20 Pump, Need Help With Fittings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Moony349

Okay, basically I've decided on using the Blueline HD20 Pump in an external box for my project. The pump has 3/4'' MPT fittings on both the inlet and outlet, how can I, without compromising flow/head, attach 1/2'' ID tubing?

Moony349 said:
Okay, basically I've decided on using the Blueline HD20 Pump in an external box for my project. The pump has 3/4'' MPT fittings on both the inlet and outlet, how can I, without compromising flow/head, attach 1/2'' ID tubing?

presumably you buy screw on barbs of the size you want from a plumbing supplier....

BTW the MD-20R (no "T") has barbed fittings of 18mm and 17mm, which'd take 1/2" ID (with a little help from some boiling water...)

lol you really are Iwaki 4 life. I just feel like the Blueline being 70 dollars cheaper new is a huge advantage. Would the smaller barbs kill performance?

Moony349 said:
lol you really are Iwaki 4 life. I just feel like the Blueline being 70 dollars cheaper new is a huge advantage. Would the smaller barbs kill performance?

depends which ones you use... i guess you could always use 5/8" OD barbs ....

no question if i were buying new 115V then the $ would sway me towards the blueline... but i don't think it's as big like for like..
blueline seems to be $109.95
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...A&Product_Code=PW-40PX&Category_Code=Panworld
MD-20R is $159.95
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...A&Product_Code=IWMD-20RLT&Category_Code=Iwaki
or $149.95 here - a WMD is $109.99
http://www.customaquatics.com/customaquatic/brandsubcategory.asp?brandID=IK&subcatID=wp-aq

which'd make the difference $40 or nil depending on whether you want the japanese motor...

it's second hand that they score - the md-20R i linked to is at $49....

When you order your pump, call them to order it. They have the pump adapter fittings on their page also, but are not specific as to tubing sizes, just that it's a 3/4"FT fitting for $3.29 each.

Get the 5/8" size barb if you're going to use 1/2" hose...a dip in some boiling water for 10 seconds will cure a stubborn hose of that small size issue. :)

the specs on it seem good - the wattage is a MAX wattage, so if the iwaki at 50 watts actually puts out around 30, then this one would probably put out around 40ish. That's certainly high - but with a good HC (or two) you should be able to comensate. certainly cheaper than the iwaki's.

Moony349 said:
So just ask for 3/4'' inch fitting with 5/8'' barb?

Yes, 3/4" FT by 5/8" barb. FT being female thread, the pump has male threads, so you need a female threaded coupling.
Two of them actually, one for the inlet and one for the outlet.

Alright sounds good, I'll order the Blueline 20HD with 3/4'' FT w/ 5/8'' barbs and slip the 1/2'' tubes over it. Thanks for the help. Now I need a radiator...or two.

Back