• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there any thing i can put into the Water....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sophisticated

....on side of distilled water and Anti-Freeze so i don't get no nasty stuff is there anything to make the water colder i can put in???

i am using the vw antifreeze stuff works pretty well so far and it gives it that nice blue color.

i sed 90% distilled water and 10% anti-freeze and after 2 months everything was coated in yucky green algea. a friend of mine told me that listerine (the stuff you use for your teeth) might work too. so, after cleaning all the tubing (about 10f-12f) i added a bottle top of listerine. since then i have not seen any more algea and everything i couldn't clean out has gone away. the water will smell nice and minty too --> BONUS!!!

how much listerine? did it have any effect on temps? thats pretty cool...

doubt it takes very much...

listerine is basically 10% alcohol so it would kill a good deal of the algae, another idea could be to add something like... a bit of H2O2 ( hyrdogen peroxide) . Same stuff you put on cuts...

Any light based pure alcohol (don't pour beer in) would effectively kill bacteria.

I'm not sure if it would have an effect on cooling or exactly how much you'd need. I doubt more then a little is needed though.

EDIT: I can't spell. :)

ok so heres the formula

80% Distilled Water
10% Water Wetter
5% AntiFreeze
5% Listerene

does this sound like it will leave me a nice a clean setup??

I have run a 50/50 of distilled water and Prestone brand antifreeze for over a year without any nasties at all, haven't even changed it yet :D

ive read that more anti freeze is not good because it doesnt tranfer heat as good as water...but i guess water watter will make up for that...i don't want any build up AT ALL but i also want the best way to tranfer heat...so how about this

65% Distilled Water
20% AntiFreeze
5% Listerene
10% Water Wetter

Could probably scrape by with 15% AF, and no listerine, the rest sounds good.
Generally a few capfulls of water wetter will do fine per litre or some such like that.. I don't know the ratio offhand, just dumped it in till all my lines turned pink, lol

lol thats what i plan to do just put in what looks like 65-70% of distilled water then the anti freeze then water wetter tiny bit of listerene to be on the safe size and ill be good

H2O2 ( hyrdogen peroxide) is a bad idea. H2O2 will break down into Oxygen gas and water, causing air bubbles in your coolant. Some contaminants can accelerate this process to the point where it generates large amounts of heat.

i have another question...when i set up the WC stuff and i test out for any leaks ..after do i drain then install in my system with things still connected or do i disconnect everything, install, reconnected and then fill with the necessary liquids???

Back