• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dangerden Super Cube

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lucas81

I have bought a wc set from someone for cheap. The main parts are, a Dangerden Maze 3, an eheim 1250 and a Dangerden Super Cube Radiator.
I haven't build it in my system yet, but I have a few questions about the radiator. Since it's already an outdated radiator, i can't find any good reviews about them, where they compare the cube with today's standards. (ie bix and the likes)
All I could find about it, was it's restrictive, and it isn't really efficient.
So my question is, should i use this radiator, or should I get another one like a bix, or some hc?
My goal is to oc it to about 200 fsb, mayb a little higher like 210. And i might want a nb waterblock later on.

My systems is
Abit NF7-s V2.0
AMD Barthon 2600+ ( not oc-ed yet but got to 185 fsb prime stable with stock cooling)
Corsair VS 512 mb pc3200

I've never had one, but I'd give it a try first before abandoning it.
Use two fans (one on either side) or maybe a small blower, because if memory serves, it was restrictive to airflow too.
Clean it out well first, never know what may be inside of it. Fill the tubes with vinegar and let it sit for a few hours--flush with fresh water in the sink, then with distilled to make sure there's nothing left in it but clean pure water.

Maybe it'll surprise you.

I have one that I bought used when I first built my watercooling rig and it was fine for my Tbred B 1700 at 2300 Mhz with a DD Maze 1 and Via Aqua 1300 for a year before I went to a chiller with that rig. I used a 120mm Delta on one side that gets a little over 100 CFMs and a Nidec Beta on the other side with similar specs and have no problems if you don't mind a 3/8 system. I am upgrading now but plan on using that Cube on something again like a video card loop most likely.

I use a cube rad myself (the BeCooling Aquacoil II) since 2001, and even if cubes are known for being restrictive both to water and air, and performing not so good as heatercores, I have very good CPU temps.
I use a Panaflo M1A fan at 6V pulling air through the rad from a separate air intake on top of the case.
I'm very happy with it as it fits my Lian Li PC-70 perfectly.

The Aquacoil II has two parallel 3/8" waterways ending in 1/2" connections:
newcoil1.jpg

CD :)

both_large.gif

@Diggrr
I have this one here, and i believe you if it is restrictive to airflow too, since i cant even look through the readiaor. I could try thisone first, but I want to do it the right way the first time. If I install this one, I do want to know it's not going to disappoint me. It's also a case modding issue, I can fit thisone right above my psu, so i only have to dremel my original blowhole a little bigger. If i change to a hc or something, i might want to fit it in the top of my case.

@Fast420A
Could you remember your temps with your setup? If I use this radiator I will do a push-pull config. but i don't want some noisy fans on them. Silence is another reason why I go with watercooling.

@ Turbokeu
Could you post your setup and your temps please?

Anyone else with experience with the Cube?

lucas81 said:
@ Turbokeu
Could you post your setup and your temps please?
If you don't use the Super Cube rad I'm willing to buy it for my son's PC if your price is OK :D (I'm from Belgium).

My setup:
- Asus A7V333 BIOS 1016 + XP2400@[email protected].
- DD Maze3 CPU + DD GF4 GPU + Eheim 1250 + Aquacoil II + Panaflo M1A @6V + Airtrap + 3-tap Fill & Bleed system.
- Ambient temp was 21°C and water flow was 4.40LPM (measured with my Digital Flowmeter).

wcpuid.jpg

Idle temps:
mbm5.3-idle.jpg

Load temps:
mbm5.3-load.jpg

Actually the Maze3 has been replaced by a Cascade CPU block and the CPU temps are 5°C less with the XP2400 running at [email protected] (same ambient temp). Water flow is now 3.35LPM due to higher restriction of the Cascade.

pict0009.jpg

pict0079.jpg

pict0072.jpg

pict0208.jpg

More pics on my webpage.

Give it a try, hook everything up and have it run outside your pc and see what you come up with. If its no good then it wont be a big loss of time cutting that hole.
It will be restrictive, but I do not know how restrictive it'll be.

Jon

Good call Jon.
Setup the watersystem with that cube sitting ontop of the case. A couple of extra feet of tubing aren't going to change things that drastically.
Then you can see if it's a "keeper" or a "stinker".

You might want to add a cardboard tube to the powersupply fan though if the radiator fan is going to bring fresh air into the case from above the psu. You can probably do better without sucking in the prewarmed air from the powersupply.

Yeah those super cubes arn't that bad I hear. It should be fine unless you really wana upgrade to a better rad.
Your setup is looking very nice. Did you make that fan duct or did you buy it somewhere? looks very professional ;) !

I think you would benefit a lot from a blower instead of a 120mm fan. You need more force on the airflow with that thick of a rad.

nocturnal714 said:
that looks sweet turbo

Nico3k said:
Yeah those super cubes arn't that bad I hear. It should be fine unless you really wana upgrade to a better rad.
Your setup is looking very nice. Did you make that fan duct or did you buy it somewhere? looks very professional ;) !
Thanks,

It's DIY:
pict0075.jpg

pict0076.jpg

pict0077.jpg

gone_fishin said:
I think you would benefit a lot from a blower instead of a 120mm fan. You need more force on the airflow with that thick of a rad.
Not necessarily, I use a 120mm Panaflo M1A at 6V. Even with low airflow through the rad I have great temps.

@ Turbo

Dat is een heel mooie setup die je daar hebt. Ik wou dat ik zo handig was met knutselen :)

Thanks for all the feedback people...I could indeed try with the radiator outside the case.
@ diggrr
Wouldn't it be better if i used a push-pull config, but to use the (warm?) air from inside the case and blow it right out? So i don't have to worry about the psu air, getting back in through the radiator. Is there much benefits from having the relative cold air from outside the case blowing through the radiator?

It depends on how you're case is setup now.
If you were a higher end aircooler before, you've got good case ventilation now and can vent your radiator outward.
If you're starting from scratch with the normally poor case ventilation, I'd bring in the cooler air from outside the case to cool the radiator with.
You'll only get water temperatures that are 2-10C higher than the air you cool it with, so the cooler the air, the lower your cpu/water temps.

Using axial fans is quite alright (I use a blower on a tiny radiator). The Panaflo that Turbokeu uses is one of the highest pressure axial fans available, and does a great job. Two at 6-7 volts would be better still (one on each side, blowing the same direction). It is pressure, not CFM that overcomes a dense radiator structure.

Good thing we don't put a dollar value on Brain Power used in this hobby... otherwise, we might not even begin...;)

lucas81 said:
Wouldn't it be better if i used a push-pull config, but to use the (warm?) air from inside the case and blow it right out? So i don't have to worry about the psu air, getting back in through the radiator. Is there much benefits from having the relative cold air from outside the case blowing through the radiator?
Do not forget that one more °C increase in the water gives you one more °C increase in your CPU temp, so cooler air IS important.

I'm still not convinced of the advantages of a push/pull fan configuration...but probably it depends also on the specific setup.

Back