• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

acidic flux?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krum

Registered
I just finished modding a 77 Bonneville core. Took out the old tubes, and sweated in a nipple attached to a hose barb in each hole. I had to use acid based flux, and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't soak the core inside and out in some neutralizing solution before I use it. Anybody know what I should use?

Baking soda neutralizes acids, and dishsoap works well on the oily wax that they're suspended in....so a combination with hot water should do. You're kindof on your own for measurements of soap, but the baking soda should be a couple of tablespoons.

Not a bad idea really. As a phone man, you should see all the green copper pipe joints I've seen, having been in a few thousand basements.

Hey Diggrr, that barb slid right on the pipe just as fine as frog fur. Thanks, dude! I'll post a pic soon as I can. I know wht you mean about corroded joints. I've seen just enough copper plumbing joints to worry about what that flux could do to my waterblocks. :D

Sonething like SimpleGreen cleanser/soap/whatever-that-stuff-is would work. I've successfully used it for cleaning rads, and it has a pH of about 10.

Back