• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chiller voltage question (220V)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Siphilon

Hey I keep lookin' to find a cheap water chiller and a lot of the units I see require 200/220V and I live in the U.S. where most wall outlets are 110. I've found Step-Up/Step-Down converters, would this be suitable for this type of scenario, I realize getting one which could also handle the wattage is important too...

Thanks for any help.

You could do that just fine. One thing you could do which would be a lot cheaper is to run two power cords to the water chiller and then hookup both of the cords so that it will provide 220v. This is considered the "cheap" way out but if it works, try it.

wow dudes, thanks for the replies...that makes sense about attaching two power cords to the unit.

Just so i don't mess anything up, does this pic below look right? Basically I would splice the cables in the middle, merge the wires to the appropriate wire from the other cable ? sorry im just afraid of electricity so id rather be safe than sorry. :p

wall.jpg

That looks good. You could even do it once the wires get into the water chiller if you want to. I am not an electrican but it is an easy trick to double the voltage.

Siphilon said:
wow dudes, thanks for the replies...that makes sense about attaching two power cords to the unit.

Just so i don't mess anything up, does this pic below look right? Basically I would splice the cables in the middle, merge the wires to the appropriate wire from the other cable ? sorry im just afraid of electricity so id rather be safe than sorry. :p

wall.jpg

NO way man ....... That outlet is more than likey fed from the same side of the bus in your breaker panel.... Buy yourself a 110V chiller or AC unit, or run a dedicated outlet for your 220V AC unit.

Well thanks for the replies, you have all been very helpful.

I'd like some sort of inline chiller as opposed to rigging something up with say a tupperware container and a chilling "probe" set inside it...Every chiller I find that is inline, if that is the appopriate term, has 200v+ power requirement or is just too large to be worth considering....I guess I'll just continue to hunt..

_Siph

Back