• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cleaning lucite

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Froz

Perhaps I'll be slapped for posting all these off-topic threads but has anyone had expereince with cleaning epoxy/adhesives from lucite acrylic? Menards staff sure as hell don't know what they are doing. Now I just have two fogged up pieces of my waterbox ;(.. I've tried acetone=fog, rubbing alcohol=not much cleaning and a little foggyness, and now goof off=disaster..

Perhaps mineral spirits?

Really appreciate the help, hopefully I didn't spend a bundle making a 2ft by 1.5ft aryclic box and then wreck the damn thing with harsh cleaners.

thanks much,
Froz

acetone kinda melted the lucite i think. you'll have to sand and polish it to get it back to clear

soap and water? wont be the fastest method, but itll come off with a little elbow grease.

Hm, try some white spirit.. may not work all that well on epoxy, but works great for everything else. White spirit + paper towl and some 'enthusiastic' rubbing. If that doesn't work, you can always drink the white spirit and you will have more important things to worry about.

Sorry there's no solvent for cured epoxy resin that won't etch acrylic even quicker - not that I know of.

You'll have to take zip22's advice and chip, scrape, sand, buff, and otherwise love the thing back to clarity. That'll be plenty of work just to do the outsides; insides I wouldn't touch.

Or you could flip the problem around and fog it up real good so it glows with a light behind into it.

Back