• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Peltier chilling a resouvoir in external box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zeroKlvn

Registered
I am in the process of making an external box for my watercooling, and I stumbled across an old pelt I had laying around, and I came up with this. It would be in my loop, after my radiator. So it would be: Pump:Radiator:Resouvior:CPUBlock:pump. I'll be posting pictures of the box upon completion, and I'll get some plans up once I clean them up. I am expecting condensation on the tubes, so I am going to wrap them in insulation.

Attachments

• resfrontback.jpg
    resfrontback.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 116
Don't count on it to perform too well. I'd expect maybe a few (2-3) degrees drop in the water temperature. A 115 watt peltier is simply too small to achieve great temperatures.

What you could do, and what I've heard others do in the past, is to get a very large reservoir and leave the pelt running overnight. By morning the water will be very cold, but you'll only see those temperatures for a limited time because the water will heat up. If you were to do it this way, I would take out the radiator because it will only bring the water temperature back up to ambient.

I'm building a pelt chiller that is basically the same idea, only i'm using 2 pelts and will hopefully not need a radiator. You need to use a radiator if the pelt can't handle the heat load of the cpu. Check the tepmerature of the water coming out of the waterblock, if it is above ambient than you need a radiator. With only one small tec like you are saying, you will deffinatly need the rad.

Yeah, I am going to leave the radiator in the loop, I dont think a single tec will come even close to handling the entire heat load by itself. I was very interested in your project, Matt. I would love to build something like that, but I dont have the tools needed for such a project. I decided I would just have the water go through the resouvior and hopefully cool down a little by going through the fins of the pelt-cooled heatsink. I'm not looking for extreme temperate drops with this idea, but I will take whetever I can get. I'm basically running with parts I already had laying around, since this isnt really a project with a budget. Best of luck with your project!
-zero

Back