• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After water block install it turns off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Baller

Problem. The computer will turn off within about 2-7 seconds of boot. I was able to get into the bios (didn't turn off for a little bit) and temps were fine. then I went into windows and it turns off. I also made sure that no "shutdown on cpu fan failuer" option was on. I tryed clearing the cmos.

Ok the computer was working fine. This is on my friends computer. I am helping him water cool for a science fair project. His loop is water tight. No visible leaking. I did use the metal mounting on a Dtek spiral water block. Motherboard is the Epox 8rda3i or somthing. 2500xp moble cpu. I checked and tested the power supply, its good. I had to leave but right now I suspect that there is a short somwhere. I am thinking it might be the mounting kit.

There are still many different possibilitys but I just wanted to throw it up here so I could go over there tomorrow armed with some new ideas in case I can't figure it out right away. (sry for the fragmentation...its been a long day and I'm fryed)

Check to see if the washers for the bolts that go through the mobo haven't broken off anything from the board. There are a lot of delicate surface mount resistors, ect that are easy to damage without noticing. Did you use washers on both sides? The metal screw shorting out traces could definitely cause probs. That's all I could think of that could be wrong with the mounting. It could be anything though, so a whole teardown and cross check with another system may be required.

Does it work with a normal heatsink? That's something you probably want to try.

make sure you didnt crush any resistors near the 4 holes if you are using them for the mounting. alot of boards have really tiny resistors near the holes which will be crushed by the washers.

Ok a resistor was detached when the washer put a lot of weight on it. What can I do? How should I go about reattaching it? Its pretty small.

You could also try finding the resistance of the surface mount resistor, and replace it with a fixed resistor. It would be easier to solder IMO. I would look pretty home fabbed though.

Back