• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rubber tubing and WW question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snowmobile74

Hey I hear that water actualy evaporates though vynil along with the silicone ruber stuff. So I was wondering can you prevent evaporation with rubber tubing like I have on my car?

My second question is about water wetter. Now this is specificly designed to prevent hot spots in an engine such as my snowmobile. Now I was thinking that computers didn't really seem to get hot enough to need the 50% water in the system. Because you really don't need to move a lot of heat. You need to move a reletively small amount of heat quickly. The reason they don't do this for engines is that an needs to be warm for it to operate efficently.

anyone got some answers? Thanks in advance

It really depends on what kind of rubber you use. Automotive grade tubing is pretty good at preventing evaporation, definitely better than vinyl, but it's not perfect. Personally, I'd just stick with Clearflex or Tygon and top up my system every month or so, simply for ease of installation and better looks.

As for the coolant, the greater the percentage of water in your system, the more efficient your cooling loop will be. Really, the only reasons to put something other than water in there is to prevent corrosion or algae growth (which are very, very good reasons to have some corrosion inhibitor and biocide in there). Now, in a water chiller setup you'd need some antifreeze in there to lower the freezing point, but that's not really for this forum. Basically, you want mostly water with a few protective additives for the best performance.

As an aside, some additives, like Water Wetter, claim to actually improve the cooling properties of water. This is true. While they decrease the specific heat of water when they are added, they also reduce the surface tension of water and enhance its wetting properties. This means that the water makes better contact with the surfaces that it cools, reduces the size of the thermal boundary layer, and improves convective heat transfer, which means lower temps. This doesn't mean you should run straight Zerex in your loop, though. Just follow the manufacturer's directions.

IMO swiftec hydryx is the best additive, which is a special blend of antifreeze, algicide, and UV reactant.. I personally dislike water wetter, it is just basically ditergent.

Lastly....ANYTHING you add to distilled water will lower the heat transfer efficiency. Water is the thermal standard which all other things are measure against. One calorie of heat energy is needed to raise one cubic centimeter of water one degree. Virtually everything else is lower than that. The less additives, the better cooling efficiency. 5% antifreeze in distilled water is sufficient to prevent problems.

Thanks for the assistance. I got to searching for some more info about water wetter and found this bit of info. take from this site http://forums.pimprig.com/archive/topic/4647.html

I am thinking with all this info that the best solution is to go with some tap watter and a small % of iso.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
tap water contains many impurities and isnt as good at transfering heat as distilled is. also distilled is almost non conductive, tap is very conductive. dont spill tap water on any electronics. if you add any anti-freeze to distilled it will increase the conductivity again.

Back