• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Why clean your TC4?", or "Don't Watercool Like Me" (pics!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Axle

Updated, have a look at how it turned out...

Well, all, sad to say I dismantled my WC getup some months back, and I'm on air again. My setup consisted of a DTek TC-4, SEVERAL Maxi-Jet 1200PHs (4 or 5 in 2 and a half years; Windshield Wiper Fluid was really hard on them), and a passive copper tubing radiator. And, for the past year and a half, I ran it without change. I'd fill the res back up when it got low; other than that I didn't touch it. The temps were on the decline (incline? They were getting worse :p) for a long time; and this white....subtance...would collect in the tuperware. This was also the same block that underwent this fiasco.

So today I took apart the block. For reference, here's it brand new on Dec 28 2001:
TC4.13.jpg

TC4.12.jpg

Today

Step 1:
TC4.01.jpg

It took everything I had to get the barbs off, and I'm not exactly a lightweight.

Step 2:
TC4.03.jpg

Had to destroy one of those damn screws to get the top off.

Step 3:
TC4.04.jpg

Oh so that's why it wasn't working good. I wondered.

TC4.05.jpg

Step 4:
TC4.06.jpg

TC4.08.jpg

Ack. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT THIS IS. But it looks like corrosion.

Step 5:
TC4.10.jpg

White vinegar, 5%.

TC4.11.jpg

So, what'd y'all think? Swell, right? I knew it. I think the Alu top is both rusted (Alu!?! Well it looks like it) and totally corroded away. Any way to clean this a bit?

:clap:

UPDATE

Final results of carelessness: 1 somewhat less pretty Alu top. Everything else seems just fine...I think.

TC4.16.jpg

TC4.17.jpg

TC4.18.jpg

TC4.19.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, my, that's the problem. I used 100% WWF for a while, then 50% distilled water, then 75% water, 20% WWF, 5% Other (Listerene, spit, Cherry Coke, etc). For the past year and a half it's been mostly tap water, with some Dawn soap and Iso alcohol.

For full disgusting factor: 1600x1200 close up

That's hella corroded! :eek:

I think the windshield washer fluid didn't have the proper corrosion inhibitors, or you didn't run enough of it. Once the anodizing wore off the top, the copper and aluminum right next to each other caused a huge corrosion problem. I guess you could try salvaging that. The pitting from the corrosion might add turbulence increasing heat transfer. :p

*edit*

You put cherry coke in it?! That's acidic. That probably helped eat away the anodizing on the aluminum top. I think next time around you should set aside $10 and pick up some distilled water and antifreeze. :clap:

Axle said:
Oh, my, that's the problem. I used 100% WWF for a while, then 50% distilled water, then 75% water, 20% WWF, 5% Other (Listerene, spit, Cherry Coke, etc). For the past year and a half it's been mostly tap water, with some Dawn soap and Iso alcohol.

For full disgusting factor: 1600x1200 close up

OMFG, LOL!!!
Listerene, spit, Cherry Coke, etc? Are you F***ing with us??? That is too funny.

That's amazing. I've done a lot of plumbing repairs to older houses (e.g. lifting a toilet installed 1920), and rarely find such buildup. In fact the cross section of an ordinary copper hot water supply pipe in continous use for 60+ years never shows more than paper-thin depots of oxide.

So it must be your additives. You know it is, you sicko. Cherry coke and "spit"? Couldn't spare any blood or sweat? :cry:

:-/

ZachM made a sharp observation, that it's made of both copper and aluminum. That's a killer recipe for galvanic corrosion. What were the designers thinking?

that is disgusting...id flip out if my waterblock did that, luckily i can see inside of it :D

btw- the pics you had of that burned chip in that old thread dont work anymore, but i wanna see the destruction, any way you can get that back up??

Oh, but I was assured that the anodizing would stop any corrosion! *Gasps* Are you saying a company misled me?!? *gasps!* :p :D :rolleyes: :mad: :-/ I'm woefully under-concerned at the moment, though; I wasn't going to sell the block anyway (I think it'll make a dandy paperweight, and I rather like it), and I wasn't going to use it again.

I'm tempted to upload all the supersized photos; take a look at the 1600x1200 one: I can't overstate how corroded it was. Top to bottom, absolutely packed in there. I had to use a screwdriver and hammer to get the worst of it out; it was bad.

Sad, too...that's back when the TC-4 cost 50 big ones.

PS- RCN dumped one of my FTPs; that's pretty annoying. (I'm referring to the blow out thread/incident of mine); try it again, I moved them all over to the new one. That was indeed a ($40) funny moment.

Wow, that's disgusting!

Now I'm really happy that my waterblocks have see-through plexi tops ;) And one more reason to cut the long planned window into my case ASAP...

Heed my words: "Thou shallst not mix copper and alu in your watercooling setup, for an awefull mess awaits thee in the end!"

Thats absolutely gross. Also, don't leave buckets of Zerez+Distil. water around, it starts growing bad things and smelling like burnt paper :D Think I will have to run straight VW antifreeze with the chillers :/

Oh my god...
That scares the crap out of me (especially jumping to a brand new watercooling system very soon)

Well we'll see. At least you cleaned it out man.

I just use regular Tap water for my system have been for 3 years now, altho i havent used this DDm aze 3 for 3 years the 2 years iv had it it got somewhat ditry and coroded inside maybe a little green here and t hier, but it wasnt neary as bad as that LOL.

I doubt my Radiator is that nast either, because i always flush that thing with a Copper cleaner, every now and then i do some junk comming out but not much.

Also people say it use dont use Distiled water or some kinda bactira killer in the water it will tuen green or diff color's. Iv had this plain tap water in the system for 3 months now andi t still crystle clear.

But yea that block was grose, it looked like a bunch of snot lol..

damn that is nasty. anyways, anyone know how to keep this from happening? what are some good fluids or coolants to use when going to water? reason i ask is because i am thinking about going to water soon but after seeing this it makes me think differently.

Wow!
pukey.gif

I'm guessing the last year and a half of tap water, soap and alcohol only killed the buggies at most. Thank god for all copper setups.

In backwards times we used to boil our water in a pot and leave it covered while cooling down, to prevent bacteria. We called it "canning". You can still find good tuna stored up that way, in old pantries. My grandma says to keep light from shining in the jars, for some reason.

Back